Designing a F1 Model Car for Optimal Speed

In summary, the conversation discussed the best design for a Formula 1 model car powered by a CO2 canister on a straight track. Some suggested designs included a buggy made of balsa wood and wire, a jet dragster-like shape, and a design that focuses on minimizing weight rather than generating downforce. The conversation also touched on the importance of the car's center of gravity and aerodynamic stability. One participant shared their experience of building a CO2 dragster in the past.
Beaujolais
Hi this is my first post here, I am just looking for some advice on designing a F1 model car. Like what the best possible shape for a Formula 1 car could be (Less drag and other factors which may effect its speed). The model car will be propelled forward by a Co2 Canister and will be and a straight track . It is only around 230mm in length and 50mm in width . To be designed on solidworks.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think this would be the best shape:

http://www.blognroll.net/content/binary/2006_Team_McLaren_Mercedes-.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
wrong. The car is going to be propelled by a CO2 cartridge. Why would it need air intakes, and other stuff associated with ICE technology? That sucker has got to be light, lean, and sleek.

Yea your right turbo those air intakes would slow it down soooo much . What about that same car but with the air intakes edited off or something? or would that effect the rest of the car's aerodynamics?

F1 aerodynamics aren't designed to minimise drag for high speed, they're designed for optimum downforce for cornering, which greatly increases drag.

What is the best possibly design for a F1 car with a front and rear spoiler powered by a Co2 canister on a straight track then?

Well what are your objectives?

My design (given "CO2 canister power" and "straight track" as my only design constraints) would be a buggy made of balsa wood and wire, with enough wheels to hold onto the track to keep it straight. Aerodynamics wouldn't even feature except for some simple nozzle to direct the flow backwards.

Ironically, an optimized model of an F1 car wouldn't necessarily have the same shape as a full-size F1 car either. The aerodynamic effects at work do not scale linearly with size, and neither does the speed the car will be traveling at. As was mentioned, an F1 car is also optimized for lots of downforce, to aid in cornering.

For a drag car going straight on track and propelled by a "jet" in the back, I suspect your optimum solution would be light; as light as you can possibly make it. As for shape, probably something close to a jet dragster would be best. Depending on the length of the race, and the speed achieved, it's possible the aerodynamics would even take a back-seat when compared to the overall weight of the vehicle.

http://www.superchevyshow.com/driverbios/billdempsey2006.jpg

turbo-1 said:
wrong. The car is going to be propelled by a CO2 cartridge. Why would it need air intakes, and other stuff associated with ICE technology? That sucker has got to be light, lean, and sleek.

the intakes would enable the air to go through instead of around the car, enabling there to be less drag, hence making it faster

tormund said:
the intakes would enable the air to go through instead of around the car, enabling there to be less drag, hence making it faster

The air will still have to go around whatever CO2 cartridge is pushing the car. In that case, its better if the air goes around the car rather than "through" the body, then split at the rear going around the cartridge.

Mech Engineers suggestion is just what the doctor ordered. Light, lean, and sleek. Wings, spoilers, air intakes, etc would all result in extra turbulence and drag.

You don't need all the down force of an F1 car. you are going in a striaght line. you need less weight as earlier stated.

brewnog said:
F1 aerodynamics aren't designed to minimise drag for high speed, they're designed for optimum downforce for cornering, which greatly increases drag.

Cd for an F1 car is sometimes >1 depending on the circuit, twice as bad as a Hummer!

I just want to check as to whether the CO2 is being used as a rocket or running through some sort of turbine and gearbox to the axle.
If the former, then I would still recommend creating as much downforce as possible. Those suckers have one hell of a lot of energy. I remember once wedging one between the slats of a corn crib and shooting the cap off with a .22 rifle. The instant result was a cloud of ice crystals, and then I spotted the cartridge about 200 ft. in the air, climbing at over 60° and moving like greased bacon through a goose's a$$. It went at least a mile... probably more. Keeping something like that on the ground won't be easy.

Last edited:
Danger said:
I just want to check as to whether the CO2 is being used as a rocket or running through some sort of turbine and gearbox to the axle.
If the former, then I would still recommend creating as much downforce as possible. Those suckers have one hell of a lot of energy.

You're correct tha model CO2 dragsters are hard to keep on the ground, but maximum downforce isn't really the solution. You need to pay close attention to the height of the CG of your car relative to the CO2 cartridge's nozzle. Also, longer cars are more stable at high speed.

Depending on what kind of track this thing is going on, you'll have to balance a trade-off between weight, length, and aerodynamic stability (you don't want to generate lift, esepecially in the front end). Most CO2 dragster tracks I've seen also have the car on a wire or string to keep it on the track, because it's basically impossible to keep them going straight otherwise...

Wow... it never occurred to me that someone has done this before. I thought that it was just an off-the-wall experiment. :redface:

Danger said:
Wow... it never occurred to me that someone has done this before. I thought that it was just an off-the-wall experiment. :redface:

I made a CO2 dragster in the Boy Scouts, but obviously didn't do much in the way of design optimization. They were pretty fun to watch because they usually crashed fantastically at the end of the track :biggrin:

See for yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CO2_dragster

I don't know much about these cars, but you may just need some kind of counter weight of the CO2 cartrage. I understand weight is a big factor so this might not be good advice.

Mech Engineers suggestion is just what the doctor ordered. Light, lean, and sleek. Wings, spoilers, air intakes, etc would all result in extra turbulence and drag.

so ur saying it wuold be more efficient to built a cucumber with wheels?

I agree least skin friction as possible...also distribute more weight to the front for more downward force and counter weight

Lower aerodynamic drag -> minimize frontal area, or area you can see from teh front view of the car.

ifin you want to go fast and straight
look at Bonneville
the land speed boys already done it
F1 is fer gonnin fast and left and right
drag racing is fer short burst over 1/4 mile
i think you need the aero of a lakester

Is this for a school project.
F1 inschools design

1. What materials are best for designing an F1 model car?

The materials that are typically used for designing an F1 model car for optimal speed are lightweight carbon fiber, aluminum, and titanium. These materials have high strength-to-weight ratios, which allows for a lighter overall weight of the car and ultimately increases its speed.

2. How do aerodynamics play a role in designing an F1 model car?

Aerodynamics play a crucial role in designing an F1 model car for optimal speed. The shape and design of the car, including the front and rear wings, diffusers, and underbody, are carefully engineered to reduce drag and increase downforce. This results in better stability and cornering abilities, ultimately leading to higher speeds.

3. What type of engine is best for an F1 model car?

The most commonly used engine in F1 model cars is a turbocharged 1.6-liter V6 hybrid engine. This type of engine is compact, lightweight, and has a high power-to-weight ratio. It also utilizes energy recovery systems, such as kinetic and heat energy, to increase the overall power and speed of the car.

4. How is weight distribution important in F1 model car design?

Weight distribution plays a crucial role in F1 model car design as it affects the overall balance and handling of the car. The weight must be distributed evenly to maintain balance during acceleration, braking, and cornering. Typically, F1 model cars have a weight distribution of 45:55, with 45% of the weight in the front and 55% in the rear.

5. What role do tires play in the speed of an F1 model car?

Tires are a critical component in the speed of an F1 model car. The tires must be able to withstand high speeds, cornering forces, and temperatures. The type of tire used, such as slick or wet, also plays a role in the car's speed and performance. F1 model cars also use a special type of tire called a "slick" tire, which has no tread and provides maximum grip on dry surfaces.