Scalar waves, is this a complete fabrication?

In summary, many people believe that scalar wave theory may have some truth to it, but there is still much that needs to be studied in order to determine if this is the case. Some experts in electromagnetics say that the evidence is not consistent with the theory, but others are open to the idea.
Ulysees
Many of you will have heard of these. Does anyone knowledgeable on conventional electromagnetics, suspect there may be some truth in it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ulysees said:
Many of you will have heard of these. Does anyone knowledgeable on conventional electromagnetics, suspect there may be some truth in it?

Wikipedia.org labels Scalar Wave theory as pseudoscience. You need to provide some credible references (preferably in refereed professional journals), or this thread will be deleted. We do not permit crackpot theories here on the PF.

Why don't you transfer it into the scepticism and debunking section. Hopefully some experts from here will give it an informed assessment.

Ulysees said:
Why don't you transfer it into the scepticism and debunking section. Hopefully some experts from here will give it an informed assessment.

Sounds like a reasonable idea, as long as Ivan is okay with it. Moved from EE to S&D, at least for now.

Frankly, I'm with berkeman with this.
Barring your location of a credible reference there is nothing to discuss.
Experimental error is easy to achieve.
An actual odd result is a different matter.

NoTime said:
Barring your location of a credible reference there is nothing to discuss.

So this section is for credible references?

An actual odd result is a different matter.

Now you got me excited. You have observed personally an odd result in electromagnetics that does not match current physics? What was it?

Ulysees said:

I think his comment was posted as I was moving this thread from EE to S&D. S&D still has rules, however, so be sure to check them to see what documentation you should provide.

Ulysees said:
Now you got me excited. You have observed personally an odd result in electromagnetics that does not match current physics? What was it?

Not strictly electromagnetics, but the solar neutrino issue was a puzzle for many years of experimental observations, and was only solved recently:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/neutrino/missing.html

You must have watched the NOVA program on neutrinos last night. Very good.

Ulysees said:
Berkeman beat me out the gate :smile:
Ulysees said:
Not in electromagnetics, well ok, I think the self focusing of a high power laser is pretty odd.
At least I've never seen a good explanation.

There is also the sticky in this section which has quite a list.

Using only the classical Maxwell equations on the spacetime of general relativity, I obtain a current-charge wave propagating at c, accompanied by a Coulomb wave (scalar to you folks). I was looking for charge-current density solutions that satisfied Laplace's equation. I'd have to look again to see if there were a standing wave solution in the potential that didn't transport charge or contain charge.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
Using only the classical Maxwell equations on the spacetime of general relativity, I obtain a current-charge wave propagating at c, accompanied by a Coulomb wave (scalar to you folks). I was looking for charge-current density solutions that satisfied Laplace's equation.

Figure that out.

We can only reference published works.

Phrak said:
a current-charge wave propagating at c, accompanied by a Coulomb wave (scalar to you folks).

A Coulomb wave is a wave of the Coulomb field or E-field? Isn't that a vector field?

Tom Bearden's scalar waves are supposed to be longitudinal. Is your Coulomb wave so?

What about the current-charge wave, is it longitudinal?

Ivan Seeking said:
We can only reference published works.

How do we debunk something if we do not reference it? :smile:

I was talking about the post above mine. If we have a formal reference, we can use it, but personal theories will result in the thread being locked, and penalty points will be assigned.

I try to imagine what physics would be like without mathematics. I think it would be like this "scalar wave" business. A lot of guys coming up with ideas and swapping lies 'cause math is hard.

In leaving out the rather vague notion that fields originate on charge and that charge is associated with massive matter, using only Maxwell's 4 equations, after 5 or so pages of rather dense calculations I come up with a non-physical result. Reading these posts, it occurred to me that a standing wave may cancel the charge density and leave a propagating coulomb potenital in place.

Ivan- Nothing new is invented, nor publishable. I was simply doing a little survey of classical electromagnetism. I'm certainly not advancing a 'personal theory'.

I've read some of the wikipedia article on this scalar potential. If it's accurate there's nothing in common with this goofy notion of bubbles between magnets 'n stuff.

Last edited:
Okay, but please avoid speculation or personal derivations. Something like this requires that we stick to papers publilshed in mainstream journals.

now it's personal derivations. can't have any of that going on. I think perhaps personal opinions are a bit of a problem, as well.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
If we have a formal reference, we can use it, but personal theories will result in the thread being locked, and penalty points will be assigned.

Is Tom Bearden's theory, a personal theory? Was Einstein's theory of relativity a personal theory in 1919? Every theory starts as a personal theory in someone's head. :smile:

And if today's Einstein comes here and posts his draft theory of modified relativity, how will we debunk it, if we can't read it?

Last edited:
I should add that there wasn't a single reference in Einstein's original paper of the theory of relativity.

Peer-review? It wasn't reviewed by anyone at all. :smile:

Einstein's job: a patent clerk (had a PhD though, like so many people in this forum).

A lot of guys coming up with ideas and swapping lies 'cause math is hard.

I've seen that too. But this guy Tom Bearden seems extremely well-versed in vector calculus and other math. I have seen some of his equations, can't give a link to them yet.

Bearden is the crackpot of crackpots. This is pure bunk.

Ulysees said:
Is Tom Bearden's theory, a personal theory? Was Einstein's theory of relativity a personal theory in 1919? Every theory starts as a personal theory in someone's head. :smile:

And if today's Einstein comes here and posts his draft theory of modified relativity, how will we debunk it, if we can't read it?

Einstein was published in mainstream journals.

Good enough for me: The subject is now banned.

Note to readers: When it comes to material that some claim should be published, or that would be published if not for bias, our position is that we do not buy into conspiracy theories, and that we allow the journals to do the debunking for us. If someone can't get published in an appropriate journal, there is no need to justify that here.

1. What are scalar waves?

Scalar waves are a type of electromagnetic wave that are described by a scalar field rather than a vector field. They do not have a direction of propagation and can travel through any medium with minimal attenuation.

2. Can scalar waves be used for communication?

There is currently no evidence that scalar waves can be used for communication. While some researchers have proposed this idea, there is no scientific proof that scalar waves can carry information in a usable form.

3. Are scalar waves a real phenomenon?

There is ongoing debate among scientists about the existence of scalar waves. Some researchers claim to have observed and measured scalar waves, while others argue that there is no scientific evidence to support their existence. The majority of the scientific community considers scalar waves to be a theoretical concept.

4. Can scalar waves be used for energy or healing purposes?

There is no scientific evidence that scalar waves can be harnessed for energy or healing purposes. While there are some claims that scalar waves have healing properties, these claims are not supported by scientific research and should be approached with skepticism.

5. Is the concept of scalar waves a complete fabrication?

As a scientist, I cannot definitively say whether scalar waves are a complete fabrication or not. While there is no scientific evidence to support their existence, some researchers continue to study and explore the concept. It is important to approach claims about scalar waves with a critical and scientific mindset.