Physics Forums

Physics Forums (http://www.physicsforums.com/index.php)
-   General Math (http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Bad Math Jokes (http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=100114)

benorin Nov16-05 06:11 AM

Bad Math Jokes
 
So here it is: prove that [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{\sin x}{n}=6[/tex]

Hint: algebra I students may not get the joke, but to them the proof comes easy.

Okay, so let them flow... post 'em if you got 'em [jokes, that is] .

dx Nov16-05 06:59 AM

I dont get the joke.. Im a calculus student.

amcavoy Nov16-05 08:11 AM

You divide the sin(x) by n to get six = 6. Wow, that is a new low for math jokes lol.

jtbell Nov16-05 08:56 AM

Q: Why do computer scientists always confuse Halloween and Christmas?

A: Because 31 OCT(al) = 25 DEC(imal).

shmoe Nov16-05 09:02 AM

One of my favorites, find:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{cabin}d(cabin)[/tex]


This next one isn't a joke so much as it is a cute poem. What does it say?

[tex]\frac{12+144+20+3\sqrt{4}}{7}+5\times 11=9^2+0[/tex]

jtbell Nov16-05 09:59 AM

Quote:

Quote by shmoe
One of my favorites, find:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{cabin}d(cabin)[/tex]

Houseboat! :rofl:

amcavoy Nov16-05 10:01 AM

Quote:

Quote by shmoe
One of my favorites, find:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{cabin}d(cabin)[/tex]


This next one isn't a joke so much as it is a cute poem. What does it say?

[tex]\frac{12+144+20+3\sqrt{4}}{7}+5\times 11=9^2+0[/tex]

Help me out here shmoe. :smile:

[tex]\int\frac{d\left(\text{cabin}\right)}{\text{cabin}}=\ln{\left(\text{cab in}\right)}[/tex]

shmoe Nov16-05 10:07 AM

Well done. Out of a typical first year calculus class, usually one or two students will shout out "log cabin", causing much groaning in the classroom. I then get to proclaim "Close, it's actually a houseboat" and get confused stares. "You forgot the C!" prompts even louder groans, a double whammy.

amcavoy Nov16-05 10:10 AM

Quote:

Quote by shmoe
Well done. Out of a typical first year calculus class, usually one or two students will shout out "log cabin", causing much groaning in the classroom. I then get to proclaim "Close, it's actually a houseboat" and get confused stares. "You forgot the C!" prompts even louder groans, a double whammy.

Nice, I like that one.

shmoe Nov16-05 10:16 AM

I'll put the poem in white below, highlight to see clearly:


A dozen, a gross, and a score,
Plues three times the square root of four,
Divided by seven,
Plues five times eleven,
Is nine squared, and not a bit more

amcavoy Nov16-05 10:19 AM

Quote:

Quote by shmoe
I'll put the poem in white below, highlight to see clearly:

A dozen, a gross, and a score,
Plues three times the square root of four,
Divided by seven,
Plues five times eleven,
Is nine squared, and not a bit more

Keep 'em coming :rofl:

pi-r8 Nov16-05 10:50 AM

Here's one I made up
Q: How do you tell that a sailor used to be a mathematician?
A: Instead of saying "aye aye, captain!", he says "negative one, captain!"

bomba923 Nov16-05 10:57 AM

**Warning: this may sound inappropriate, and uses suggestive language !!

Professor to aspiring female math student:
*"HEY!! :eek: How would YOU like to integrate my natural log??"

Female math student-->says: ":yuck:!"

(:rofl: High school humor :rolleyes:)

fourier jr Nov16-05 11:11 AM

ummmm not sure how that integral makes a houseboat. i get the log cabin part though.

here's my favourite math joke:

[tex]\lim_{8\rightarrow9} \sqrt{8} = 3[/tex]

kreil Nov16-05 11:38 AM

Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a computer scientist?

A: A mathematician and a computer scientist work side by side in the basement of a building. Every day, they go up to the second floor at 10am for coffee. One day at 10am, they are both on the first floor and leave to get their coffee. The computer scientist hops in the elevator and goes to the second floor for his coffee. The mathematician, however, gets in the elevator, goes to the basement to reduce the problem to a problem with a known solution, and then goes to the second floor for his coffee.

josh

kreil Nov16-05 11:43 AM

simplify the expression:

[tex](\frac{1}{m^{-1}})(e^1)(r^2)(\sqrt{y^2})(\frac{d}{dx}\frac{x^2}{2})(\frac{force}{acce leration})[/tex]

shmoe Nov16-05 12:02 PM

Quote:

Quote by fourier jr
ummmm not sure how that integral makes a houseboat. i get the log cabin part though.

A log cabin + sea (C) = a houseboat

It is indeed a terrible joke.


This is supposedly elementary school humour but I only heard it recently (I'm not in elementary school anymore, but my sense of humour is):

Q: Why was six afraid of seven?
A: Because seven ate nine.

amcavoy Nov16-05 12:06 PM

Quote:

Quote by kreil
simplify the expression:
[tex](\frac{1}{m^{-1}})(e^1)(r^2)(\sqrt{y^2})(\frac{d}{dx}\frac{x^2}{2})(\frac{force}{acce leration})[/tex]

Merry Christmas!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014 Physics Forums