Physics Forums

Physics Forums (http://www.physicsforums.com/index.php)
-   Social Sciences (http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   homosexuallity! nature or nurture? (http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=111801)

DrDeath Feb22-06 04:16 PM

homosexuallity! nature or nurture?

here's a question that could do with an answer!

what are the cause's of homosexuallity?

as a practising homosexual myself ive often been intrigued about this, i know im gay, ive known it for a long time and im happy to be gay. but why am i gay.

what is it that makes me gay is it nature (some biological thing) or is it nurture (something to do with society or my upbringing)

debate and vote!

arildno Feb22-06 04:24 PM

Well, while I think there is some biological substratum behind sexual orientation, I think that the extent to which this becomes manifest or remains latent within the person depends on societal factors.

DrDeath Feb22-06 04:58 PM

i would tend to agree that social influences do play a part and i would like to believe it is also partly biological as well, but so far as know scientists have found no biological cause's so far?

arildno Feb22-06 05:10 PM

Quote:

Quote by DrDeath
i would tend to agree that social influences do play a part and i would like to believe it is also partly biological as well, but so far as know scientists have found no biological cause's so far?

No, they haven't. There are some sibling correlations and so on that indicate it, but by no means any solid, incontrovertible evidence.

Anyhow, however one looks at it, a fixation of orientation must occur pretty early; at least as far as myself concerned, from the age of 5-6 (and probably before that), girls were always a matter of indifference&lack of interest, while I connected strongly with other boys (and progressively more so).
To me, on basis on that and similar stories, it seems most logical to assume somethig inborn at play here.

DrDeath Feb22-06 05:19 PM

you do have a point most gay people i know (me included) have an idea from very early on which would seem to indicate something biological but could still be sociological, anyways 5-6 is way to young man :). (only kidding). but hey maybe like you say its a bit of both.

if anyone else has any ideas or answers let us know

arildno Feb22-06 05:23 PM

Glad you put that :) there, or I'd been mighty pissed off.

DrDeath Feb22-06 05:25 PM

each person is individual and experience's thier own things in life at thier own time, personnelly although i knew i was never interested in girls, my interest in boys developed later in life during my very early teens, but hey each to their own. i do however have a great sense of humour which means i can take the p' out of anything and everyone including myself.

arildno Feb22-06 05:30 PM

Quote:

Quote by DrDeath
each person is individual and experience's thier own things in life at thier own time, personnelly although i knew i was never interested in girls, my interest in boys developed later in life during my very early teens, but hey each to their own. i do however have a great sense of humour which means i can take the p' out of anything and everyone including myself.

Obviously, I didn't mean to say I was a flagrantly erotically obsessed toddler, but that I in perspective, would call some of the bondings I felt at an early age were indications of a sexual orientation that became manifest as such years after.

there wasn't any specifically erotic content in such feelings before the age 12-13 in me, at least.

DrDeath Feb22-06 05:35 PM

great i now have weird and disturbing images of an eroctically obsessed toddler in my head. what i meant by my comments was purly that 5-6 was a very early age to even understand the concept of that kind of relationship, obviously you meant that with hindsight you realise that you had stronger bonds with males rather than females of an early age.

(p.s im now gonna have nightmares cos these images in my head) :D

DrDeath Feb22-06 05:36 PM

someone please save me from this errotically obsessed toddler! please
:D

arildno Feb22-06 05:39 PM

Quote:

Quote by DrDeath
someone please save me from this errotically obsessed toddler! please
:D

I was blond-haired, and liked to catch butterflies..

DrDeath Feb22-06 05:41 PM

says it all i suppose :D, by the way i cant believe you got "whumped by an apple tree"

matthyaouw Feb22-06 05:41 PM

I always thought it was pretty normal to be disinterested in girls at that age- just part of being a kid. I for one didn't really see any signs attraction to boys until I was 14/15, even in retrospect (though I'm bisexual rather than gay, so perhaps any hints at orientation were less easy to notice.)

DrDeath Feb22-06 05:43 PM

i suppose it might harder for you to notice as like you say your interested in both genders so the signs would be more subtle. any thoughts on the nature/nurture question

arildno Feb22-06 05:49 PM

Quote:

Quote by DrDeath
says it all i suppose :D, by the way i cant believe you got "whumped by an apple tree"

Sure I was, in the arm, mind you!
It went like this:
I was over at my parents' to help my Dad cut down the old curmudgeon, and since the work of gravity alone would have dumped it in my mother's beloved bushes, we knew we had to push the tree a bit while it was sawed over.
My Dad, ever the intelligent fellow, suggested we should tie a rope to it, and have one guy pull, the other saw, but I had a better idea:
We didn't need a rope, my Dad could start sawing, while I pushed the tree in the direction we wanted it to fall.
Of course, when my Dad was through, the trunk whipped back and slammed into my upper arm on the insides and made a huge rift.
That was it basically..:uhh:

DrDeath Feb22-06 05:52 PM

ah so you failed to take into account the ever fatal laws of gravity and kinetic energy as well as the seesaw effect.

ah well we live and learno:)

matthyaouw Feb22-06 05:52 PM

Quote:

i suppose it might harder for you to notice as like you say your interested in both genders so the signs would be more subtle. any thoughts on the nature/nurture question
I'm unsure. Nurture definately affects how well manifested it becomes, just like Arildno says, but the fact that it occurs in so many different species of animal as well as humans implies to me that perhaps it does have its roots in our biology.

DrDeath Feb22-06 05:54 PM

humm tru, i wonder if scientists will ever find out a definate answer or just get bored trying and give up