Physics Forums

Physics Forums (http://www.physicsforums.com/index.php)
-   Computing & Technology (http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   Digital camera (http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=204775)

wolram Dec15-07 05:59 PM

Digital camera

I have a digital camera but the software does not support windows vista, i have been to the cameras web site but there is not a solution listed, am i sunk or is there a way around it?
Thanks.

Kurdt Dec15-07 06:57 PM

If you download from it via USB I don't see how this would be a problem. Vista should recognise the camera as a mass storage device when you connect it and you can copy the images to a folder of your choice. That way you won't need the cameras software.

P.S. Happy Birthday wolly!! :smile:

wolram Dec15-07 07:06 PM

Quote:

Quote by Kurdt (Post 1542803)
If you download from it via USB I don't see how this would be a problem. Vista should recognise the camera as a mass storage device when you connect it and you can copy the images to a folder of your choice. That way you won't need the cameras software.

P.S. Happy Birthday wolly!! :smile:

Thanks kurdt, my daughter who is quite hot with computers tried that, Vista does not recognize the camera.

Kurdt Dec15-07 07:17 PM

Strange that, the whole design of vista is that its supposed to easily detect any media devices and deal with them itself. It could be a driver issue. Whats the make and model of your camera? Have you installed the camera software on vista or is it not installing at all?

mgb_phys Dec15-07 07:47 PM

Does the camera have a setting to act as a disk (for computer connection) or as a computer (for direct connection to a printer) I forget the exact terms but USB has a master/slave protocol - one end has to be in charge.

Or you csn get a simple usb card reader for the SD/CF card the camera uses.

wolram Dec15-07 08:10 PM

Quote:

Quote by Kurdt (Post 1542822)
Strange that, the whole design of vista is that its supposed to easily detect any media devices and deal with them itself. It could be a driver issue. Whats the make and model of your camera? Have you installed the camera software on vista or is it not installing at all?

The CD is only for win 98, 2000 and XP how stupid is that, the camera is a vivitar vivicam 6150s.

Kurdt Dec15-07 08:27 PM

hmm well I'm stumped. The camera website says they're all plug and play vista compatible which means they should be recognised by vista without pre-installing drivers. If you have tried to install drivers from the disk then this might be causing the problem so uninstall it if you have. Other than that you should contact the manufacturers to see if they know what it might be.

mgb_phys Dec15-07 08:38 PM

Vista (and XP) don't need drivers to access a remote USB disk - it sounds like the camera isn't presenting itself as a disk.

wolram Dec15-07 09:35 PM

Quote:

Quote by Kurdt (Post 1542891)
hmm well I'm stumped. The camera website says they're all plug and play vista compatible which means they should be recognised by vista without pre-installing drivers. If you have tried to install drivers from the disk then this might be causing the problem so uninstall it if you have. Other than that you should contact the manufacturers to see if they know what it might be.

Thank your for your help Kurdt, i will keep trying, the CD only made funny noises when i put it in, i am sure it did not install anything.

wolram Dec15-07 09:37 PM

Quote:

Quote by mgb_phys (Post 1542905)
Vista (and XP) don't need drivers to access a remote USB disk - it sounds like the camera isn't presenting itself as a disk.

Just my luck, thanks mgb.

jtbell Dec15-07 10:04 PM

Like mgb_phys said, just buy a USB card reader (probably $10 or so) for whatever type of memory card the camera uses, and plug it into a USB port on the computer. That's how I've always transferred pictures to my computer, using CF cards on my first digital camera, and SD cards on my current one.

robphy Dec15-07 10:55 PM

Often these CDs install software that might make transferring pictures easier and software that helps do simple image-processing on them. But, as others have said, it's probably better to just get a USB or (for laptops) PCMCIA SD-card-reader... and skip the CD software. (The CD might have a useful manual that you might need to refer to someday.)

Can you browse the files on the CD? Maybe the CD is bad.

wolram Dec16-07 12:59 PM

Quote:

Quote by robphy (Post 1543015)
Often these CDs install software that might make transferring pictures easier and software that helps do simple image-processing on them. But, as others have said, it's probably better to just get a USB or (for laptops) PCMCIA SD-card-reader... and skip the CD software. (The CD might have a useful manual that you might need to refer to someday.)

Can you browse the files on the CD? Maybe the CD is bad.

The CD does not run just makes noises, i will get a card reader.

Thanks all.

robphy Dec16-07 01:06 PM

Quote:

Quote by wolram (Post 1543448)
The CD does not run just makes noises, i will get a card reader.

Thanks all.

If you want to try the software, get the driver from the website
http://www.vivitar.com/support.asp?m...e=ViviCam6150s

wolram Dec16-07 01:41 PM

Quote:

Quote by robphy (Post 1543454)
If you want to try the software, get the driver from the website
http://www.vivitar.com/support.asp?m...e=ViviCam6150s

Thanks robphy, done it.

turbo Dec16-07 01:46 PM

If you plug the camera into a USB port and turn it on in "play" mode, can you use Explorer to "see" it in your hardware? My cameras both can work that way (Olympus and Canon, as does my sister's - Nikon). Even if you can't use the software that shipped with the camera, you should be able to do drag-and-drop file transfers with Explorer.

robphy Dec16-07 01:52 PM

Even if you do get the camera to be recognized by Windows,
note that the SD-card-reader method eats up no battery life.

russ_watters Dec16-07 02:23 PM

Quote:

Quote by wolram (Post 1542877)
The CD is only for win 98, 2000 and XP how stupid is that, the camera is a vivitar vivicam 6150s.

Usually those cds just contain stupid little applications to go with the camera that you don't really need. Have you tried just not installing the software and just plugging the camera in and accessing the memory card directly through windows explorer? It sounds like you are focusing on the CD, but you shouldn't need it at all.