Physics Forums

Physics Forums (http://www.physicsforums.com/index.php)
-   Forum Feedback & Announcements (http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Inline PhysOrg.Com Links (http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=328148)

Vanadium 50 Jul31-09 11:17 AM

Inline PhysOrg.Com Links

Is the recent appearance of PhysOrg.com links in mid-thread a bug or a feature?

Greg Bernhardt Jul31-09 11:29 AM

Re: Inline PhysOrg.Com Links

We are proud to have entered in a content sharing partnership with PhysOrg.Com

They will be delivering relevant news stories to PF. There are 14 forums that will receive unique stories and the rest draw from a general science pool. IE biology gets biology stories. In return we are sending PhysOrg.Com links to some of our discussions. We are confident this is a win-win. :smile:

mgb_phys Jul31-09 11:32 AM

It's now working properly in Opera. It was showing just the logo with no links and occasionally stretching the box for the logo all the way down the page.

Norman Jul31-09 12:06 PM

I think this is a big mistake. It is quite annoying to see a post under an initial thread in the Physics sections about family planning... It is intrusive that it appears as a post in a thread with absolutely no relevant information. I hope it does not stay in its current implementation.

Greg Bernhardt Jul31-09 12:13 PM

Quote:

Quote by Norman (Post 2292461)
I think this is a big mistake. It is quite annoying to see a post under an initial thread in the Physics sections about family planning... It is intrusive that it appears as a post in a thread with absolutely no relevant information. I hope it does not stay in its current implementation.

Thank you for your opinion. We will continue to tweak things in order to optimize usefulness.

update: all physics forums now show physics news stories

symbolipoint Jul31-09 01:50 PM

The placement of those posts is not suitable in several of the boards. A better placement may be at the top of some of the boards or forum sections.

Greg Bernhardt Jul31-09 01:52 PM

Quote:

Quote by symbolipoint (Post 2292580)
The placement of those posts is not suitable in several of the boards. A better placement may be at the top of some of the boards or forum sections.

Can you further explain what you mean by "not suitable"?

dx Jul31-09 02:56 PM

I too feel it is a strange place to put it.

Greg Bernhardt Jul31-09 03:05 PM

Gold members forget there are ads at the top of the forums :wink:

negitron Jul31-09 03:31 PM

Quote:

Quote by Norman (Post 2292461)

It took me less than half a day to get used to it; it's very easy to distinguish the links from a normal post once you get used to them. In any case, I don't know what Greg feels like doing, but it would be trivially easy to change the border or background color or something if people are that easily confused about it.

Redbelly98 Jul31-09 03:57 PM

If it helps Greg pay the bills, I'm for it. I too found it pretty easy to get used to, and it's always in the same place (after 1st post of a thread).

phyzmatix Jul31-09 04:00 PM

Quote:

Quote by Redbelly98 (Post 2292709)
If it helps Greg pay the bills, I'm for it.

I agree. Also, in a week's time, it'll be as if it's always been there.

Borg Jul31-09 04:06 PM

I was confused the first couple of times because it looked like people had signatures with advertisements.

Greg Bernhardt Jul31-09 04:18 PM

Quote:

Quote by Redbelly98 (Post 2292709)
If it helps Greg pay the bills, I'm for it. I too found it pretty easy to get used to, and it's always in the same place (after 1st post of a thread).

They aren't ads :smile: News stories from a partner site.

Quote:

Quote by Borg (Post 2292720)
I was confused the first couple of times because it looked like people had signatures with advertisements.

I will look into ways of distinguishing them better. But at the same time I don't want it distracting.

Danger Jul31-09 04:27 PM

It weirded me out the first couple of times, since I thought that some unnamed used had sneaked in spam. Now I'm used to it, and I think that it's a great idea.
Scientific American, now this. What the hell's next; are we going into partnership with NASA?

humanino Jul31-09 04:34 PM

I support PF and Greg in all their decisions :!!)
Let's try it before deciding whether it was a good decision.

berkeman Jul31-09 05:01 PM

I have to say that I'm starting to like it. Some of the articles in the links are darned interesting. The one about Smart Power Grid security was an eye-opener!

Greg Bernhardt Jul31-09 05:02 PM

I should also mention the feeds are updated every hour.