Physics Forums

Physics Forums (http://www.physicsforums.com/index.php)
-   Medical Sciences (http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   About a wisdom tooth: damn it! (http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386305)

fluidistic Mar13-10 03:58 PM

About a wisdom tooth: damn it!

Hey, since yesterday night I have a terrible pain on my upper left side in the mouth. It's due to a wisdom tooth that is growing. The pain is so intense that I'm starting to think that maybe the lower wisdom tooth is also growing and causes me pain. My head hurts (the left side of it).
So I've read on the Internet that some operations turn bad and I could stay facially paralysed for my whole life if the dentist hurt some nerve. I've read what a lot of people went through, after the operation turned bad.
Further I'm starting the first week of the term and I really need to study. I've been studying but the pain is really bothering me now. I have a courseload of 28 hours/week so I could eventually be operated only from next Friday. I just wonder if the pain will decrease, because I don't see myself suffering that much (night is terrible) for so long.
Also, I have 0 confidence with my dentist for several reasons. But I wouldn't mind to get rid of this hurting tooth! I'm just scared about the operation and its consequences.

A little question maybe: Is it possible to get rid of only 1 tooth? Or will I have to get rid of the 2 upper ones, because otherwise my other upper teeth could get pushed on one side? I prefer to ask you the question, I do not trust my dentist at all.
Thanks for any comment!
Ah, and lastly : OUCH!

Evo Mar13-10 04:03 PM

Re: About a wisdom tooth: damn it!

It sounds like your tooth may be impacted (growing into a bone or no room) and needs to be removed. The consequences of an impacted tooth that's causing pain far exceeds any remote possibility of the procedure going wrong. Get to a dentist right away.

hamster143 Mar13-10 04:13 PM

Facial paralysis is extremely rare. A much more likely (but still rare) side effect is that removal of the lower wisdom tooth can break your jaw in the area. If that happens, they'll have to wire your jaw shut for 6 weeks, you won't be able to talk and you will have to eat through a straw. But it'll heal without any long-term damage.

Don't worry about your dentist. He shouldn't be the one doing the removal anyway. He should refer you to an oral surgeon.

Brian_C Mar13-10 04:19 PM

Just get the tooth removed. I had a cracked wisdom tooth and went to the dentist the same day. The pain was unbelievably bad.

zomgwtf Mar13-10 04:29 PM

Quote:

Quote by hamster143 (Post 2622520)
Don't worry about your dentist. He shouldn't be the one doing the removal anyway. He should refer you to an oral surgeon.

Not true... do you think the only job for a dentist to do is filling cavities? Only in rare emergency situations or a situation where surgery is necessary do you go to a oral surgeon. Removing a 3rd molar is the same as removing any other tooth, a main difference however is that the 3rd molar regularly grows abnormally due to our smaller jaw sizes than our ancestors.

All that they do to remove your wisdom tooth is cut the gum away from it... and then they wiggle it and jiggle it until it's ok to pull it out. They then stitch you up. The reason for the wiggling/jiggling is that the tooth is firmly rooted into the jaw bone so you can't just rip it out. Sometimes the tooth needs to be broken in half/smaller pieces but the procedure is basically the same only they do it in parts. I wouldn't be afraid of side-effects occuring if you have to have the tooth removed at all... it's a very common procedure. I think something like 9/10 people have impacted 3rd molars... very common. Impaction occurs for many reason, the tooth may be hitting bone, another tooth, or it could even be impacted by the gums themselves.

You should go to the dentist though and get it checked out first, I'd suggest going to your doctors office as well. A majority of the time when a tooth is impacted the pain isn't from the impaction but from an infection... and oral infections can become quite serious so you should go and get that checked out to see if you need any anti-biotics. Always inform your dentist when you are on anti-biotics especially regarding an oral-infection. If it does turn out that you will need to have your wisdom tooth removed maybe you could look into going to get it done at another dental office, if you do not trust your dentist in the procedure.

EDIT: as well be sure if you do get it pulled to FOLLOW what your dentist instructs you to do and take anything prescribed to you. If you do not follow what your dentist instructs you to do it can result in VERY painful and even dangerous infections in your mouth. Very important you listen.

MotoH Mar13-10 04:29 PM

Pull it out yourself with a pair of pliers and wash the blood out with whiskey!

Or go see a dentist, either or.

fluidistic Mar13-10 04:30 PM

Thanks for the replies. :smile:
I can feel the upper left tooth with my hand, it has almost emerged totally. At least it has almost (maybe 70%) the same level as my other molars. I don't see how it can grow into a bone, or can it? Ok, maybe it has a very tiny room (I can feel some place for it with my fingers, but very smalls. A few millimeters maybe, it's hard to judge with a finger. I'd say 2 millimeters). It hurts anyway.
Wow, about the possibility of a broken jaw... Seems like the perfect excuse to learn the sign language. I don't really mind not to talk for so long, but I don't want to suffer from a bone break.

I believe the dentist (a female) is the one who do the surgery, along with another person. Should I do a radiography of my mouth to see where are the nerves? Unfortunately I don't have any social welfare or I don't know how it's called. I mean, if I have to do some radiography, I'll have to pay it and will receive no money from anyone. I'm having a hard time financially, but if it is the way to go, it's the way to go. The same apply for the operation.
Should I take aspirins now? What about the days before the operation? I guess now is ok, but later no because I may blood more during and after the operation.

zomgwtf Mar13-10 04:35 PM

Quote:

Quote by fluidistic (Post 2622552)
Thanks for the replies. :smile:
I can feel the upper left tooth with my hand, it has almost emerged totally. At least it has almost (maybe 70%) the same level as my other molars. I don't see how it can grow into a bone, or can it? Ok, maybe it has a very tiny room (I can feel some place for it with my fingers, but very smalls. A few millimeters maybe, it's hard to judge with a finger. I'd say 2 millimeters). It hurts anyway.
Wow, about the possibility of a broken jaw... Seems like the perfect excuse to learn the sign language. I don't really mind not to talk for so long, but I don't want to suffer from a bone break.

I believe the dentist (a female) is the one who do the surgery, along with another person. Should I do a radiography of my mouth to see where are the nerves? Unfortunately I don't have any social welfare or I don't know how it's called. I mean, if I have to do some radiography, I'll have to pay it and will receive no money from anyone. I'm having a hard time financially, but if it is the way to go, it's the way to go. The same apply for the operation.
Should I take aspirins now? What about the days before the operation? I guess now is ok, but later no because I may blood more during and after the operation.

Yeah you can take some pain killers, I still suggest you go to the doctors office to get in looked at, just to be safe.

As far as insurance etc. goes, if it causes you enough pain you might be able to go into emergency oral surgery which depending where you live could be free. :tongue:. I know here in Canada dentistry in some areas is quite expensive, especially longer procedures. However if you get the same procedure done in a hospital it's 100% free including the meds they give to you :smile:

fluidistic Mar13-10 04:39 PM

Quote:

Quote by zomgwtf (Post 2622550)
Not true... do you think the only job for a dentist to do is filling cavities? Only in rare emergency situations or a situation where surgery is necessary do you go to a oral surgeon. Removing a 3rd molar is the same as removing any other tooth, a main difference however is that the 3rd molar regularly grows abnormally due to our smaller jaw sizes than our ancestors.

All that they do to remove your wisdom tooth is cut the gum away from it... and then they wiggle it and jiggle it until it's ok to pull it out. They then stitch you up. The reason for the wiggling/jiggling is that the tooth is firmly rooted into the jaw bone so you can't just rip it out. Sometimes the tooth needs to be broken in half/smaller pieces but the procedure is basically the same only they do it in parts. I wouldn't be afraid of side-effects occuring if you have to have the tooth removed at all... it's a very common procedure. I think something like 9/10 people have impacted 3rd molars... very common. Impaction occurs for many reason, the tooth may be hitting bone, another tooth, or it could even be impacted by the gums themselves.

You should go to the dentist though and get it checked out first, I'd suggest going to your doctors office as well. A majority of the time when a tooth is impacted the pain isn't from the impaction but from an infection... and oral infections can become quite serious so you should go and get that checked out to see if you need any anti-biotics. Always inform your dentist when you are on anti-biotics especially regarding an oral-infection. If it does turn out that you will need to have your wisdom tooth removed maybe you could look into going to get it done at another dental office, if you do not trust your dentist in the procedure.

EDIT: as well be sure if you do get it pulled to FOLLOW what your dentist instructs you to do and take anything prescribed to you. If you do not follow what your dentist instructs you to do it can result in VERY painful and even dangerous infections in your mouth. Very important you listen.

That's a bit reassuring. I do not have a personal doctor. I came here alone in Argentina to earn my bachelor's degree and I do not have what I used to have in France, namely a personal doctor, a security welfare, etc. I think I'm going to go to the dentist I used to go, even though I'm not sure she's really a good dentist. I know her first reaction will be "oh nice, let's remove your 4 wisdom teeth or you'll have to come back in months anyway".
I always listen to doctors and take the medications religiously. Unless and only in the case I'm prescribed a painkiller (medications are more expensive than in any country I know and many times I don't suffer as much as to take some pills).

fluidistic Mar13-10 04:43 PM

Quote:

Quote by zomgwtf (Post 2622559)
Yeah you can take some pain killers, I still suggest you go to the doctors office to get in looked at, just to be safe.

As far as insurance etc. goes, if it causes you enough pain you might be able to go into emergency oral surgery which depending where you live could be free. :tongue:. I know here in Canada dentistry in some areas is quite expensive, especially longer procedures. However if you get the same procedure done in a hospital it's 100% free including the meds they give to you :smile:

The public hospital of my city (second largest of Argentina) is a joke. I've been many times there, it's more than overloaded. They could fix a problem maybe within 3 months, the time taken to die of meningitis or anything else. In case of an urgency I'd seek a semi private clinic. Plus, I'd have to pay anyway the meds and consultation in the public hospital.

Evo Mar13-10 05:15 PM

Ack, you are a foreign national in Argentina. They should always take an x-ray of the tooth before deciding how to procede. It turned out that one of my teeth that needed to be extracted had the root wrapped around the tooth next to it. I had to be referred to an oral surgeon and put to sleep so they could cut it out of my jaw. Does the social medical care in France cover you outside the country? My private insurance covers me outside the US, so I am curious how socialized medical care works. I know that the coverage is transferable within the EU.

fluidistic Mar13-10 05:28 PM

Quote:

Quote by Evo (Post 2622620)
Ack, you are a foreign national in Argentina. They should always take an x-ray of the tooth before deciding how to procede. It turned out that one of my teeth that needed to be extracted had the root wrapped around the tooth next to it. I had to be referred to an oral surgeon and put to sleep so they could cut it out of my jaw. Does the social medical care in France cover you outside the country? My private insurance covers me outside the US, so I am curious how socialized medical care works. I know that the coverage is transferable within the EU.

Ok very nice to know. No, I'm not covered by the French social medical care. I don't remember why, I think it's because I'm living here rather than visiting, but I'm not sure of the reason.
Ok, I will take a radiography. Last time I did it was in 2006 I believe, thanks to the dentist. They don't have these devices where she works, so she told me to go somewhere else on another day and then come back with the result. I went to the place (I remember it was rainy) and a 95 years old man I'd say who was walking at an ant velocity (I'm not kidding!) took me the radiography on what seemed an old machine. I don't really feel secure. I just hope they bought another machine.

Hey, I took an aspirin maybe 15 minutes ago and I don't know if it's a placebo effect or luck or real, but the pain is tolerable. It's not even 20% it was 20 minutes ago. Nice!

I'd like to know Evo if they removed only 1 tooth rather than 2. Is it possible to remove only 1 tooth? Or will it deform the position of all my upper teeth?

zomgwtf Mar13-10 05:39 PM

Ah, in Argentina, well if you don't feel comfortable with the situation you could just go to the doctor as you were planning and then see what they say/prescribe and then live with it for a bit. As long as there is no major infections you shouldn't have any problems. Generally your teeth do hurt when they are growing in as they are trying to make room etc. but this will subside. The fact that you say that you can see the wisdom tooth partially errupting is a good sign, as long as it fully comes out of the gums you should be clear and not even need any oral work done.

As well @ your question: it is possible to remove only 1 tooth and it will not effect your other teeth. The thing is though, that if the dentist notices that your other wisdom teeth may lead to problems or is currently a problem they will remove them at the same time.

fluidistic Mar13-10 05:51 PM

Quote:

Quote by zomgwtf (Post 2622670)
Ah, in Argentina, well if you don't feel comfortable with the situation you could just go to the doctor as you were planning and then see what they say/prescribe and then live with it for a bit. As long as there is no major infections you shouldn't have any problems. Generally your teeth do hurt when they are growing in as they are trying to make room etc. but this will subside. The fact that you say that you can see the wisdom tooth partially errupting is a good sign, as long as it fully comes out of the gums you should be clear and not even need any oral work done.

As well @ your question: it is possible to remove only 1 tooth and it will not effect your other teeth. The thing is though, that if the dentist notices that your other wisdom teeth may lead to problems or is currently a problem they will remove them at the same time.

Ok. That's a good news if I don't NEED to remove my tooth, i.e. if it has enough room and no major problem occur. I should see this with the dentist, but I already know she'll want to remove it along with the others. I will see how the pain goes, but I will go to the dentist anyway and if she doesn't say an operation is URGENT then I won't get operated.
I think I'm lucky my wisdom teeth are growing in a somehow good position I believe.
Thanks for all. I'll keep this thread alive as I have more information.

Evo Mar13-10 05:55 PM

Quote:

Quote by fluidistic (Post 2622689)
Ok. That's a good news if I don't NEED to remove my tooth, i.e. if it has enough room and no major problem occur. I should see this with the dentist, but I already know she'll want to remove it along with the others. I will see how the pain goes, but I will go to the dentist anyway and if she doesn't say an operation is URGENT then I won't get operated.
I think I'm lucky my wisdom teeth are growing in a somehow good position I believe.
Thanks for all. I'll keep this thread alive as I have more information.

Good luck! If you feel any excessive swelling and pain in the gum around the tooth, have it checked for infection. The tooth can abscess and then you have a problem.

fluidistic Mar13-10 06:14 PM

Quote:

Quote by Evo (Post 2622696)
Good luck! If you feel any excessive swelling and pain in the gum around the tooth, have it checked for infection. The tooth can abscess and then you have a problem.

Thanks. :approve:
I'll ask the dentist and probably take her phone number just in case of emergency.

hamster143 Mar13-10 10:48 PM

Quote:

Removing the 3rd molar is a difficult job, because the tooth is remarkably hard to access. Especially if it's impacted. Normal dentist can probably pull out one non-impacted wisdom tooth if he tries hard enough, but, beyond that, oral surgeon is the way to go.

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed at an oral surgery clinic under general anesthesia (wouldn't have even been possible in a regular dentist's office). Painless and interesting experience.

zomgwtf Mar14-10 12:39 AM

I guess things here in Canada work differently then.