Physics Forums

Physics Forums (http://www.physicsforums.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What can not be automated? (http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=422388)

wolram Aug15-10 10:15 AM

What can not be automated?

That says it all, i can not think of any thing.

Jimmy Snyder Aug15-10 10:25 AM

Re: What can not be automated?

Plugging the automaton in.

russ_watters Aug15-10 12:56 PM

Posting on PF.

wolram Aug15-10 01:49 PM

Quote:

Quote by Jimmy Snyder (Post 2840231)
Plugging the automaton in.

That could be done by a robot.

rootX Aug15-10 01:59 PM

I believe in the industry, it would be poor management and fear among workers that they would lose their jobs.

turbo Aug15-10 03:46 PM

It might be tough to automate creative endeavors. Painting, writing, music composition...

Pengwuino Aug15-10 04:19 PM

From my years of watching How It's Made, my answer is: random manufacturing processes that I can't figure out why they can't be automated.

drizzle Aug15-10 05:26 PM

Deh mind!

wolram Aug16-10 06:17 AM

The only thing i could think of is reproduction, but i guess there are ways to even do that.

disregardthat Aug16-10 06:34 AM

How can designing be automated? Such as designing houses, cars and such which requires an intuition of human aesthetics.

Jamma Aug16-10 07:16 AM

Well, if you agree that it would be eventually possible to create a completely synthetic brain, then obviously everything that can be done by humans could be automated.

The only exceptions are trivial things such as "creating the first automated thing".

disregardthat Aug16-10 07:28 AM

Quote:

Quote by Jamma (Post 2841365)
Well, if you agree that it would be eventually possible to create a completely synthetic brain, then obviously everything that can be done by humans could be automated.

Is a synthetic brain automation? If designing is not to require aesthetic emotions, then we need to create a rational model for human aesthetics. But our aesthetic intuition is at least partially determined by world experience, and that requires the ability to be pleasured emotionally and physically, appreciate art etc.. If this model cannot be created, the synthetic brain would perhaps be similar to a human one, but that is not automation.

Jamma Aug16-10 07:49 AM

Quote:

Quote by Jarle (Post 2841376)
Is a synthetic brain automation? If designing is not to require aesthetic emotions, then we need to create a rational model for human aesthetics. But our aesthetic intuition is at least partially determined by world experience, and that requires the ability to be pleasured emotionally and physically, appreciate art etc.. If this model cannot be created, the synthetic brain would perhaps be similar to a human one, but that is not automation.

Yeah, was thinking about that when I wrote it. I suppose it at least covers all the creativity etc. though, in a way, it is not automating any specific tasks (unless you can replicate the brain to be in the state ready to do the task which you wanted it to do). It all probably depends on your definitions (and I feel my definitions are probably a bit confused).