Physics Forums

Physics Forums (http://www.physicsforums.com/index.php)
-   General Physics (http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   anti-gravity machine (http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=510)

mouseman Mar26-03 07:19 PM

anti-gravity machine

Did anyone ever see on TV or read about (I think it was released to the press sometime late last year) the scientists who built that electromagnet that counteracted the force of gravity? They put a couple of different pieces of organic material in it and they started floating, one of which was a live grasshopper. Would that not indicate that gravity and magentism are related? Or am I just ill-informed?

mouseman Mar26-03 07:21 PM

It's probably the latter.

brum Mar26-03 07:31 PM

i dont have the answer to your question but this is somewhat related to the topic...

in my chemistry class, we took liquid Nitrogen and poured it over a strong magnet (making the magnet very cold)

then a superconductor (a little cube - metal? i cant remember) was placed above the center of the (~1 cm diameter) magnet and it was completely levitated.

you could even spin the superconductor and it would simply spin around in the air in the same place.

dont know if levitating is considered "anti-gravity" like what you were talking about

hope that helps

mouseman Mar26-03 07:41 PM

Yeah I bet thats the same priciple they used to make the "anti-gravity" thingamabob. But I'm assuming levitation and anti-gravity are one in the same. But you know what they say when you assume something... [;)]

DrChinese Mar26-03 07:59 PM

Re: anti-gravity machine

Quote:

Originally posted by mouseman
Did anyone ever see on TV or read about (I think it was released to the press sometime late last year) the scientists who built that electromagnet that counteracted the force of gravity? They put a couple of different pieces of organic material in it and they started floating, one of which was a live grasshopper. Would that not indicate that gravity and magentism are related? Or am I just ill-informed?
Got a reference?

At this point there is no known relationship between electromagnetism and gravity. Unless you count that light is affected (bent) by the force of gravity. The fact that one force of nature can be made to act in opposition to another is not evidence of their relationship.

Janus Mar26-03 08:25 PM

What you most likely heard about is called diamagnetic levitation. Her are a couple of links that help explain it.

http://www.physics.ucla.edu/marty/diamag/

http://www-hfml.sci.kun.nl/froglev.html

mouseman Mar26-03 08:40 PM

Ahh! Thank you sir! That's exactly what I was refering to. But I'm wondering if you can cause something organic to levitate by a magnetic field, wouldn't the converse also be possible? Wouldn't you be able to "suck" something in by reversing the polarity? If so, then why would that be any different than the effect of Earth's gravity on us? Or am I just wacthing too much Star Trek?

mouseman Mar26-03 08:44 PM

Re: Re: anti-gravity machine

Quote:

Originally posted by DrChinese

The fact that one force of nature can be made to act in opposition to another is not evidence of their relationship.

Sorry. Bad choice of words. I meant to imply that magnetism and gravity might be the same thing.

ElectrikRipple Mar26-03 09:45 PM

Gravity and Magnetism? Of coarse!

I believe that magnetism and gravity are one in the same, and if not one in the same than have great influences on each otehr. I heard about the "antigravity" machine, also. It doesnt seem like it would be too difficult. All things have a charge to them. Almost everything has some sort of metal in it. In answer to ur questoin on whether or not it would be possible to recreate gravity since u can repel something, it makes since to me. a piece of metal getting pulled to a magnet seems to be the same as gravity pulling something. Is that not how old fashioned compasses work? The needle is pulled north because of gravity/magnetism right? i mean tell me if im wrong.
P.J.

ElectrikRipple Mar26-03 09:51 PM

A little more...

Oh and the objects "levitate" because of teh magnetic field which means they are affected by magnets whcih means they have some sort of a charge or metal or something right? Doesnt sound complicated right?
P.J.

mouseman Mar26-03 10:00 PM

Well a compass actually works with the magnetic field the earth emits. The core has alot of metal in it. But as far as almost every thing having metal in it, that wasn't what I was meaning. I was refering to magnetism on an sub-atomic scale. All atoms are are particles with magnetic charges. And even though its been stated before that the amount of negative charges of all the atoms on earth are about the same amount as the positive charges of all those atoms, making the difference between the two neglegable, what I'm wondering is if that little amount of difference is just enough to make an "atomic magnetic field". Which ever that charge may be, positive or negative (I don't know which it is).

I appologize if this doesnt make sense. I'm tired and I've been drinking.

mouseman Mar26-03 10:03 PM

Re: A little more...

Quote:

Originally posted by ElectrikRipple
Oh and the objects "levitate" because of teh magnetic field which means they are affected by magnets whcih means they have some sort of a charge or metal or something right? Doesnt sound complicated right?
P.J.

Its called Diamagnetism. Don't know the inner workings of it though.
Janus made a link to a page about it above. ^

ElectrikRipple Mar26-03 10:05 PM

Good Thoughts

I think i was actually thinking the smae thing as u its just i havent been drinking so words arent flowing as well as urs...haha but yea that makes since. I think your right. well now that YOUR theory makes since, what about mine?!?!?!?! [*(]
P.J.

ElectrikRipple Mar26-03 10:07 PM

About Your "Its Diamagnetism" thing

I watched the movies and stuff before i posted that.
P.J.

I see your shwartz is as big as mine.

mouseman Mar26-03 10:14 PM

I'm not really stating a theory, I'm just asking if there is a possibility.

Quote:

well now that YOUR theory makes since, what about mine?!?!?!?!
Which theory?

ElectrikRipple Mar26-03 10:49 PM

THE THEORY

the theory on seeing/interacting with yourself in the future
P.J.

russ_watters Mar27-03 12:44 AM

Quote:

I believe that magnetism and gravity are one in the same, and if not one in the same than have great influences on each otehr
No. The gravity and magnetism have different causes and different effects. They are two very different forces. The only relationship is that they both decrease by an inverse square ratio of the distance.

ElectrikRipple Mar30-03 01:54 AM

see and ur saying this bro because thats what somebody told u or what u read online or in a book...but u cant believe anything....if u ever believe anything ur dead. not literally of coarse but ull go through life without wonders and thoughts...good look buddy
P.J. <<<<tired [zz)]