Physics Forums

Physics Forums (http://www.physicsforums.com/index.php)
-   Relationships (http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Is this true or this is a stupid question? (http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=525144)

flyingpig Aug28-11 05:24 PM

Is this true or this is a stupid question?

Do many men just look for looks in women first and then see if they have anything else in common? Is it the same for women?

What about YOU?

Pengwuino Aug28-11 05:28 PM

Re: Is this true or this is a stupid question?

Most more like it. Although I think half the time most guys don't care if they have anything in common with the girl, unless that "in common" involves kinky outfits and whips. hawt.

TheStatutoryApe Aug28-11 05:29 PM

The first thing that anyone who isn't visually impaired will notice about anyone else is the way they look. It is the initial thing that attracts us to people.

lisab Aug28-11 06:56 PM

As a female, I can tell you what you get if your online dating site does not have a photo.

Crickets.

Topher925 Aug28-11 09:04 PM

Picture's worth 1,000 words.

mcknia07 Aug28-11 09:20 PM

I, as a female, think that looks play a small role, but mostly it's the personality and connection I have with the man that means the most.

Topher925 Aug28-11 09:50 PM

So what exactly is "connection"?

mcknia07 Aug29-11 09:42 AM

A spark, the it factor

Topher925 Aug29-11 04:35 PM

The "it factor"? I can see we're just going to go in circles here.

lisab Aug29-11 05:17 PM

Quote:

Quote by Topher925 (Post 3475726)
The "it factor"? I can see we're just going to go in circles here.

That could be a sign that there is a connection.

rootX Aug30-11 09:20 PM

First if they love dogs and then looks :biggrin:.

Constantinos Aug31-11 04:29 AM

I think looks is more than external appearance.

If I saw a woman with the body of a model but couldn't walk straight, or her hands would shake while talking, she wouldn't really "look" good to me and maybe most men.

If I saw a woman with the body of a model and her every move was as elegant as a dancer's and when she started to talk she would talk about conspiracy theories or something completely crazy like alien abductions or about trivial things like the next top model/some soap opera, she would not "look" good to me either and maybe most (I want to believe) men.

So "good looks" is not only external beauty, but a combination of factors, namely physical appearance, movement and immediate character traits. These are also the first things to be noticed by people and it should go for both men and women. At first, this is the only information you have about someone.

256bits Sep1-11 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=Constantinos;3478082]
If I saw a woman with the body of a model but couldn't walk straight, or her hands would shake while talking, she wouldn't really "look" good to me and maybe most men.

If I saw a woman with the body of a model and her every move was as elegant as a dancer's and when she started to talk she would talk about conspiracy theories or something completely crazy like alien abductions or about trivial things like the next top model/some soap opera, she would not "look" good to me either and maybe most (I want to believe) men.

QUOTE]

I would wonder if the first lady would need a ride home from the bar.
I would ask the second lady if she could introduce me to the first lady.

Ivan92 Sep2-11 03:46 PM

I say attraction has to be there, however it is not everything. If you see an attractive woman and find out that she has a hobby or does something that is also in your interest obviously one would be tempted to talk to her and get to know her more.

jhae2.718 Sep2-11 05:22 PM

If we're talking about attraction, it's usually about [itex]\frac{GMm}{r^2}[/itex].

KingNothing Sep3-11 03:51 PM

Quote:

Quote by jhae2.718 (Post 3482373)
If we're talking about attraction, it's usually about [itex]\frac{GMm}{r^2}[/itex].

Are you attracted to massive women?

jhae2.718 Sep4-11 12:09 AM

Hint: all my posts to this subforum are me being a smart-***.

ahsanxr Sep16-11 08:10 PM

Quote:

Quote by KingNothing (Post 3483739)
Are you attracted to massive women?

He would actually be more repelled by massive women, since he forget the negative sign.