How much power is needed to heat water to 200C through a tube?

In summary, the expert summarizer believes that the water heater required to heat water to 200C will require a power output of 1.25KW. They note that this is much higher than the power requirement for the smaller flow of water that they are working on, and that the pressure is minimal when compared to what they are already working on.
jonjmorrison
Hi all,

Sorry if this seems trivial but I think I may have managed to confuse myself and could do with some help.

I need to specify a tape heater power output for a small rig through which water will be heated to 200C. Having gone through the Q=m*cp*ΔT equation where:
m = 0.1658x10-3 kg/s
cp = 4186 J/kg K
ΔT = 180K

I come out with a power requirement of 1.25KW. This seems like an awful lot of power for such a tiny flow of water. Am I getting something wrong here or do I really need a 1.25KW heating element for this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
200 degrees? Is this pressurized or something, because it will want to turn to steam at 100C if it's atmospheric pressure.

My caculator gives a factor 10 smaller than yours. But "water at 200C" makes this an interesting question :smile:

Yes the system will be fully pressurised to prevent any steam forming.

I don't think I phrased the question particularly well, it should probably have read:

"If I have a 0.5m long tube, how do I work out the power required to heat the water by 180C?"

Thanks for the help so far.

That is way too high a pressure for you to be attempting to create. Please stop before you get yourself killed.

russ_watters said:
That is way too high a pressure for you to be attempting to create. Please stop before you get yourself killed.

This pressure is minimal by comparison to what I've working on for the past few years. We already have a piece of kit from the same company who will be building this rig that runs up to 110bar before the burst disc goes, the vessel itself is rated to 250 bar max safe limit and 350bar before failure. A vapour pressure of 15.5 bar is extremely small and, given the lab set up and my own experience of working with high pressure apparatus, poses a minimal danger.

The volume of liquid in use would also be very small, on the order of a few hundred cc's and with an appropriately set PRV and higher pressure burst disc assembly leading down an armoured tube to a dump tank, the most damage an explosive decompression could cause is to make me hit my head if I jump in surprise.

The pressure side of things is taken care of and I have a good bit of experience working safely with this kind of thing, the heating calculations are all that I have trouble with as I am not an engineer by training.

Cheers for the concern though!

Based on the numbers you provided your result should be 125W, 1.25kW must be a typo.

Thanks - turns out I can't use MS calculator properly, how embarrassing.

Thanks for the help everyone!

1. How does heating water through a tube work?

Heating water through a tube works by transferring heat energy from a heat source, such as a burner or electric heating element, to the water inside the tube. This causes the water molecules to vibrate, increasing their kinetic energy and resulting in a rise in temperature.

2. What types of tubes are commonly used for heating water?

The most commonly used tubes for heating water are copper, stainless steel, and PEX (cross-linked polyethylene) tubes. Copper is a good conductor of heat, stainless steel is resistant to corrosion, and PEX is flexible and easy to install.

3. How does the length and diameter of the tube affect the heating process?

The length and diameter of the tube can affect the heating process by influencing the rate at which heat energy is transferred to the water. A longer and narrower tube will have a slower rate of heat transfer compared to a shorter and wider tube, resulting in a longer heating time.

4. Can heating water through a tube be dangerous?

Heating water through a tube can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. The heat source and tube should be handled carefully to avoid burns or fires, and the water should be monitored to prevent overheating. Additionally, old or damaged tubes should be replaced to prevent leaks and potential hazards.

5. Are there any advantages to using a tube to heat water?

Yes, there are several advantages to using a tube to heat water. Tubes are efficient at transferring heat energy, resulting in a faster heating process compared to other methods. They are also versatile and can be used in various heating systems, such as boilers, hot water tanks, and solar water heaters.