Physics Forums

Physics Forums (http://www.physicsforums.com/index.php)
-   Calculus & Beyond Homework (http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Complex Power Series Radius of Convergence Proof (http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=577809)

jsi Feb15-12 02:53 AM

Complex Power Series Radius of Convergence Proof

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If f(z) = [itex]\sum[/itex] an(z-z0)n has radius of convergence R > 0 and if f(z) = 0 for all z, |z - z0| < r ≤ R, show that a0 = a1 = ... = 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know it is a power series and because R is positive I know it converges. And if f(z) = 0 then the sum itself would be 0 which would mean that each term must add to 0. This doesn't necessarliy imply that each coefficient ai is 0 though because they could alternate a1 = 1, a2 = -1, a3 = 2, a4 = -2 etc... Am I right in thinking this? And if so, I'm not sure how to go from there... Unless f(z) = 0 for all z implies that |z - z0| ≠ 0 somehow then for f(z) to equal 0, the ai would have to equal 0? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Some Pig Feb15-12 07:46 AM

Re: Complex Power Series Radius of Convergence Proof

Use Open Mapping Theorem.

Dick Feb15-12 08:43 AM

It's pretty easy to see that all of the derivatives of f(z) are zero at z0, isn't it? Try to use derivatives to say something about the coefficients.

jsi Feb15-12 01:59 PM

oh ok, so if say, since f(z) = 0, d/dz = 0, then taking the derivative of every term of the series yields d/dz (an(z - z0)n) = (nan(z - z0)n-1) = (nan(z - z0)n)/(z - z0)1 and then that means (z - z0) can't = 0 so the ai must be 0? Is that right, or sort of right, or totally wrong?

Dick Feb15-12 03:42 PM

Quote:

Quote by jsi (Post 3765974)
oh ok, so if say, since f(z) = 0, d/dz = 0, then taking the derivative of every term of the series yields d/dz (an(z - z0)n) = (nan(z - z0)n-1) = (nan(z - z0)n)/(z - z0)1 and then that means (z - z0) can't = 0 so the ai must be 0? Is that right, or sort of right, or totally wrong?

Take it one step at a time. The series is f(z)=a0+a1(z-z0)+a2(z-z0)^2+... Since f(z0)=0 that means a0=0. f'(z)=a1+2*a2(z-z0)+... What does f'(z0)=0 tell you? Now use the second derivative to say something about a2. Etc.

jsi Feb15-12 05:46 PM

I think I got it; f'(0) = 0 implies that a1 = 0 and f''(0) = 0 implies that a2 = 0, so f to the nth derivative of 0 = 0 implies that an = 0, so all an must be 0?

Dick Feb15-12 05:50 PM

Quote:

Quote by jsi (Post 3766351)
I think I got it; f'(0) = 0 implies that a1 = 0 and f''(0) = 0 implies that a2 = 0, so f to the nth derivative of 0 = 0 implies that an = 0, so all an must be 0?

Yes, that's it. Except you want to evaluate all of the derivatives at z=z0. Not z=0.

jsi Feb15-12 05:56 PM

great, thank you!