Physics Forums

Physics Forums (http://www.physicsforums.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Colonoscopy (http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=68436)

The_Professional Mar23-05 05:12 PM

Colonoscopy

Anybody had a colonoscopy? what was your experience like? any advice?

hypatia Mar23-05 06:34 PM

I have a illness which requires me to have a colonoscopy 2 times a year. They give me a rohypnol{memory} drug, so I don't remember anything till its done. It has always been painless for me aside from some slight muscle cramping later in the evening.
After fasting all day, I tend to just have soup for dinner, and then a really good breakfast the next morning.
Advice...relax, they do thousands of them a year.

Danger Mar23-05 10:19 PM

Anybody who thinks that doctors get into their line of work for the glamour will disillusion himself quickly during one of these. :biggrin:

They're very careful, they allow you to prepare yourself and go slowly enough for you to get used to it. The only discomfort that I noticed is that you feel as if you've had way too many breakfast burritos. They pump you full of air to keep the intestinal walls separated for a clear view.

It's not the most comfortable procedure in the world, but I'd rather have a hundred of them than one more hernia operation.

(PS: Leave your dignity at the door; you won't be using it. :wink: )

The_Professional Mar23-05 10:31 PM

Quote:

Quote by Danger
(PS: Leave your dignity at the door; you won't be using it. :wink: )

I'm very, very offended. Delete that post...

...just kidding :biggrin: Having never been operated or undergone any form of bodily invasion I didn't know what to expect and how effective the anesthesia is. But it was actually pretty cool, I didn't feel a thing. Before I know what hit me, I lost all consciousness and fell into a very deep, relaxing sleep. Then just being woken up five times. I tried playing with the ekg just to see how low I can make my heart rate go, but got only to around 74.

Danger Mar23-05 10:51 PM

Quote:

Quote by The_Professional
I'm very, very offended. Delete that post...

You scared me for a second there. I thought that was your whole response and wasn't quite sure what to do. Then I noticed that the scroll bar still had a ways to go. :redface:

Quote:

didn't know what to expect and how effective the anesthesia is. But it was actually pretty cool, I didn't feel a thing. Before I know what hit me, I lost all consciousness and fell into a very deep, relaxing sleep.

This confuses me. I thought when Hypatia mentioned anesthesia that it was something to do with her particular ailment. Now you're doing it too. We are talking about the same procedure, right? (Honkin' big camera tube in the stern?) No wonder your medical insurance system is nuts down there. We Canuks just hop up on a table with our arses hanging out and they put a good glob of KY on the camera. Certainly no anaesthetic.)

Ivan Seeking Mar24-05 12:21 AM

What I wonder is this: Do people just wake up one day and say, gee, I want to be a butt doctor? Or, I want to look at butts for a living?

Zantra Mar24-05 01:07 AM

Quote:

Quote by Ivan Seeking
What I wonder is this: Do people just wake up one day and say, gee, I want to be a butt doctor? Or, I want to look at butts for a living?

You could also ask why every male med student doesn't aspire to be an obgyn. And the answer that I find most amusing- If you worked at burger king 12-15 hours/day every day,frying meat, when you got off work, would ya still be hungry? And even if you were, would you want a burger? no you'd become a vegetarian.

I'm sure a proctologist has a comfy schedule compared to some specialties.

No one ever says "daddy when I grow up, I want to be a butt doctor"

reminds me of this old commercial..

The_Professional Mar24-05 02:06 AM

Quote:

Quote by Danger
You scared me for a second there. I thought that was your whole response and wasn't quite sure what to do. Then I noticed that the scroll bar still had a ways to go. :redface:

Sorry bout' that :)

Quote:

This confuses me. I thought when Hypatia mentioned anesthesia that it was something to do with her particular ailment. Now you're doing it too. We are talking about the same procedure, right? (Honkin' big camera tube in the stern?) No wonder your medical insurance system is nuts down there. We Canuks just hop up on a table with our arses hanging out and they put a good glob of KY on the camera. Certainly no anaesthetic.)
I was talking about the sedative that was used to put me to sleep. But it was applied by an anaesthesiologist which is why I used that term instead. I didn't see the camera tube but I'm sure it's pretty small.

Math Is Hard Mar24-05 02:21 AM

I remember reading something in Wired magazine a couple of years ago about some doctors who had invented a little colon-photographing device about the size of a horse pill that could be swallowed. Did anything ever come of that technology? Just curious if anyone had heard anything more about this.

Danger Mar24-05 02:38 AM

Quote:

Sorry bout' that :)

No prob, bro'; if I had a decent sized monitor, it wouldn't have happened. :smile:

Quote:

I was talking about the sedative that was used to put me to sleep.

So was I. We don't get so much as an Aspirin here. We remain awake and conversing with the doctor. (Well... I did that through my first hernia surgery too, but that was just personal curiosity, and this time I didn't have a choice.)

Quote:

I didn't see the camera tube but I'm sure it's pretty small.

I'm sure it seems that way when you're asleep. Awake, it feels as if someone is trying to insert the Hindenberg. :bugeye:

Danger Mar24-05 02:43 AM

Quote:

Quote by Math Is Hard
I remember reading something in Wired magazine a couple of years ago about some doctors who had invented a little colon-photographing device about the size of a horse pill that could be swallowed. Did anything ever come of that technology? Just curious if anyone had heard anything more about this.

I remember seeing that somewhere as well. I sure wouldn't mind if it hit the market soon; at my age colorectal cancer screens are pretty much manditory at least once a year. :eek: I wouldn't doubt that the FDA has it tied up in limbo until they determine that it doesn't make your teeth fall out or something.

Math Is Hard Mar24-05 02:45 AM

I've decided to postpone getting older until such technology is available.

Ivan Seeking Mar24-05 02:52 AM

They did a demo of the pill-cam on The Discovery Channel. I'm not sure if it's in general use yet, but apparently it's safe enough for someone to swallow for a TV show. The guy swallowed the pill and carried a receiver on his belt for a day or so. The pill xmits the video data which is logged on the receiving unit for viewing later.

Oh boy! Popcorn and a movie.

Danger Mar24-05 02:59 AM

Quote:

Quote by Math Is Hard
I've decided to postpone getting older until such technology is available.

Unless you haven't updated your picture, you're doing a mighty fine job of that. You still look just like you did 40 years ago when I first saw you... :wink:

Danger Mar24-05 03:03 AM

Quote:

Quote by Ivan Seeking
The guy swallowed the pill and carried a receiver on his belt for a day or so. The pill xmits the video data which is logged on the receiving unit for viewing later.

Oh, no! I just thought of something... If it's going in from that end, they'll see what you had for lunch. What if it was pickled squirrel heads? There'd be no end to the embarrassment...

Ivan Seeking Mar24-05 03:06 AM

Quote:

Quote by Danger
Oh, no! I just thought of something... If it's going in from that end,

You could try from the other end while standing on your head; in the tradition of Feyman who stood on his head and peed to prove that one can pee in space...but that's another story.

Danger Mar24-05 03:15 AM

Quote:

Quote by Ivan Seeking
You could try from the other end while standing on your head; in the tradition of Feyman who stood on his head and peed to prove that one can pee in space...but that's another story.

I was just about to add you to my buddy list, but this indicates that you might be just a tad strange...

Danger Mar24-05 03:16 AM

Incidentally, do you think that you can ever manage to write a post that's as long as your signature? :biggrin: