View Single Post
Garth
Jun30-06, 11:53 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,273
Quote Quote by gptejms
Tell me what happens in the following situation according to scc:-an observer(photocell) accelerates towards a source of light.We know as a fact that it receives photons of higher and higher frequency as long as it accelerates(this could be quantified by the photo current).Now according to scc,since EEP does not hold for atoms,atoms of the source (or the photocell) do not undergo any change in rest mass.The photons do not undergo any change either.So,how do you explain the change in frequency of the received photons?
If the experiment is carried out all at the same gravitational potential level then there is no difference between SCC and SR/GR.

As I posted above Classical Doppler is not a 'relativistic mass' effect, it is a geometric effect caused by the relative movement; literally the photons are being 'squashed up' if the source is moving towards and are therefore observed at higher frequencies.

This is indicative of the frame dependence of energy levels. What is the zero point when measuring energies? To first order the relative motion shifts the frequency by an amount that is proportional to velocity. On top of his classical shift we factor in a relativistic correction, which does take time dilation into account.

(Here my LaTex has become all screwed up again )

Garth