View Single Post
Bobendren
Aug25-06, 08:41 AM
P: 10
Hi,

I hope this question is in the right section.

I have a heatsink that consists of both aluminium and copper. It's started to corrode, oxidate etc. I've tried different chemicals (such as HCL, Salt and Vinegar, Coke, and a aluminum brighenter that consisted of hydrofluric acid and sulphuric acid) to get it bright and shiny again - but none seem to do the job. The problem is that the fins are very tighly spaced (a few mm's) so I can't get inbetween them to scrub.

I would ideally like to get it anodized in black, but i've been told copper cannot be anodized, is this correct?

I took it to a company that does electroplating but was told that the nickel wouldn't go inbetween the fins - they said electroless nickel might work, but they didn't have the means to do it. Should I bother ensuing this method? Also because copper and aluminium are treated/cleaned in different ways prior to electroplating, the acids used may cause a problem.

Powder coating is another option, but i'm not sure how this would affect the heasinks perfomance. What's the heat conductivity of a thin layer of powder coating? Bad, right? Also would it work, or would the powder simply be attracted to the egde of the fins instead of coating it evenly?

Lastly I thought of sand blasting it. Would this damage the heatsink in anyway? I've also seen tiny glass beads being used instead of sand, would this be a better option?

Sorry, lots of questions! I would really appreciate any answers. Thank you!

Bob
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
Celebrating 100 years of crystallography
Turning waste from rice, parsley and other foods into biodegradable plastic