View Single Post
nitin
Oct20-06, 01:20 AM
P: 35
'Hi Kajlina\r\n\r\nWell, there are a few books I could recommend. The \"Elegant Universe\" was a reasonable start. I would suggest the following order:\r\n\r\n- \"The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality\" [Brian Greene], which is a follow-up to \"The Elegant Universe\"\r\n\r\n- \"Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe\'s Hidden Dimensions\" [Lisa Randall], which is more about phenomenology of branes and strings. \r\n\r\n- \"The Cosmic Landscape: String Theory and the Illusion of Intelligent Design\" [Leonard Susskind], one which I haven\'t read, but I can recommend it based on the reviews I have read. It is a book about the so-called landscape of solutions of string theory.\r\n\r\n- \"Three Roads to Quantum Gravity\" [Lee Smolin], which talks about three approaches to getting a quantum theory of gravity, namely Strings, Loop quantum gravity (LQG) and Noncommutative Geometry (NCG), all at a level which should suit you.\r\n\r\n- \"Superstrings: A Theory of Everything?\" [Paul Davies + Julian Brown], which also contains a series of interviews with some of the pioneers in the field and some notable detractors too (like Feynman).\r\n\r\n- \"Not Even Wrong: The Failure of String Theory And the Search for Unity in Physical Law\" [Peter Woit], one which I am reading right now. It explains the problems with the string enterprise.\r\n\r\n-\"The Trouble With Physics: The Rise of String Theory, the Fall of a Science, and What Comes Next\" [Lee Smolin], which I will read soon. It is currently a best-seller.\r\n\r\nI am sorry to hear you \"do not want books with lots of equations\", but I hope that by the time you\'ve read these books, you might consider reading the following, which provides a relatively easy intro into the world of mathematics, physics and theoretical physics (it definitely contains many equations ):\r\n\r\n- \"The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe\" [Roger Penrose]\r\n\r\nEnjoy the books!'