View Single Post
chroot
Nov19-06, 01:33 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,429
Quote Quote by 0rthodontist
You don't "force them to do what you want them to do" at all. You concede to them their free will. That's the point. If the man were simply carried outside, he would not have been actually doing anything against his will.
You have to be kidding me. Are you really so interested in arguing for the sake of arguing that you are now trying to convince that being tied up and physically dragged out of a building is an example of exercising free will? You have to be kidding!

The student wanted to remain inside the building even though he broke the rule and didn't have his ID. That was his free will!

Sometimes I really get the feeling that you just really, really like arguing, and will continue to change your position as frequently as possible to make sure that you never agree with anyone.

But though this example is not identical with political torture, both this example of torture and political torture are coercion by pain. As are the other things I mentioned.
It's not torture. It's not bullying. It's not psychological trauma. It's a stupid kid who didn't want to follow a rule being made to follow a rule. That's all it is.

- Warren