View Single Post
cookiemonster
Mar4-04, 10:18 PM
P: 991
I'm not a huge fan of running. I like to have little objectives so I feel like I'm accomplishing something all the time. But I guess that's all part of the sport, isn't it?

I think I can run about about a 6:30 mile, but I've never actually done it. Actually, the last time I ran a proper mile was at tennis tryouts sophomore year when everybody was supposed to run a sub-8-minute mile. I ran about a 6:45, and I'm in better shape now than I was then. Tennis players don't run at a sustained pace very often, but all the starting and stopping makes our legs strong, and we have to do it for 2 hours per match, so we have to be able to endure, too. Miles come pretty easily, but any more than that and I think I'd fall over and die. Some of our varsity players, to put it a bit more nicely, weren't built for running, so that little requirement was actually waived.

Football players are kind of funny. Personally, I'd be a bit more impressed if they didn't have all those pads...

Tennis is a lot more difficult sport than most people (including the football team and our wonderful trainers--they laughed at one of our players when he came in to get treated because he got hurt. They didn't think you could get injured during practice. However, they swarmed over a football player who stubbed his finger or something.) give it credit for. Unless somebody's dominating the match, then you're always going at full speed. There's no relaxing. It's run one way, stop on a dime, run the other way, all the while setting up and controlling the swing. Thankfully, there's plenty of resting between points.

I think running is, too. Our school has a very dedicated cross country team and they're out there running around the neighborhood all morning before school and all morning after school. I don't think I could do that. I have been known to run around hitting balls for 4 or 5 hours on end, though.

cookiemonster