View Single Post
moonstroller
Mar10-08, 06:06 PM
P: 19
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
"medically dead" is the catch here. ...Like I said previously, as technology and our understanding increases, the definition of death changes.
the Uniform Determination of Death Act. It states that: "An individual who has sustained either (1) irreversible cessation of circulatory and respiratory functions, or (2) irreversible cessation of all functions of the entire brain, including the brain stem is dead.

Under laboratory conditions at normal body temperature, the longest period of clinical death (complete circulatory arrest) survived with eventual return of brain function is one hour.[18][19]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_death

Because brain death is the final call on death, and animal heads have been successfully transplanted from one animal to another I would have to agree with you. Perhaps in the future, there will be no real determination of death as long as the brain can survive.

I guess the real question we are all looking to be answered is:
Is life merely an algorithm? or some sort of signal receiver or a combination of both?. By receiver I mean is the brain controlled by a signal sent to it.

The only actual NDE I have been witness to other than my own, involved a woman who was dying from sclerosis of the liver. She was an alcoholic and over 50 years old. She had a dream/vision/NDE while she lay on the death watch in the hospital. She claimed that Jesus told her it was not her time and she needed to help her family who were all alcoholics. {shortened story} she recovered, had a completely healed liver and live for another 15 years.

I'm not a Christian but I was impressed.

Those who did not sit down with Columbus and notice the sails disappearing over the horizon, had no reason to doubt the world was flat. It mattered little to their day to day lives, one way or the other.

I've seen too many peculiar things in life to close off my mind to a narrow minded way of thinking, be it religious or scientific. I will die on day and solve the riddle for myself as will we all. Until then, I remain open minded to any speculation. For the curious minded it is all food for thoughtful fun anyway.