View Single Post
nrqed
May27-08, 06:01 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,886
Quote Quote by end3r7 View Post
I'm a converted atheists, have been for a long time. To cut it short, I could no longer re-conciliate the historical and natural claims that religion makes with my knowledge of science, and I'm certain I'm not the only one.

Now, I know that many believe that science and religion are two distinct subjects whose fields of interests are disjoint sets, but personally I don't subscribe to idea. And more importantly, this is not the point of this thread. I know it's a competing view, but I'd rather not have this particular argument in this thread if possible.

So anyway, what do you guys miss?

I think what I miss the most was the comforting thought of an eternal afterlife. Which is why I don't argue with "non-fanatic" people over their faith: it does serve the purpose of effectively erasing one "big worry".

Other than that, I do think it's slightly easier to get a girlfriend, make friends, and run for office. =P

One has to give up hope for justice.
I wish I believe in a God who would punish evil people (for example people who torture animals). Unfortunately, I have to rely on the (very) imperfect justice of men and that offers very little comfort.

What about people (including children) who have terrible diseases, those who die young, etc...with religion there is hope that they will have something to make up for their hardship.

Not having religion makes life very very sad and unfair.