View Single Post
dreNL
Sep22-09, 11:20 AM
P: 3
I have been struggling for a while with a problem I've encountered in my research and I really need help. It is a rather peculiar integral equation
[tex]f_0(x)=S(x)+\int_{x}^b \frac{\Sigma_s}{2}\exp(-\Sigma_t(x'-x))f_1(x',x'')dx'+\int_{-b}^x \frac{\Sigma_s}{2}\exp(-\Sigma_t(x-x'))f_1(x',x'')dx'[/tex]
in which
[tex]f_1(x',x'')=\int_{x'}^b \frac{\Sigma_s}{2}\exp(-\Sigma_t(x''-x'))f_0(x'')dx''+\int_{-b}^x' \frac{\Sigma_s}{2}\exp(-\Sigma_t(x'-x''))f_0(x'')dx''[/tex]
and the source [tex]S(x)=C_0+C_1\cosh(\Sigma_tx)[/tex]
It comes from some new theory concerning Monte carlo simulations for neutron transport.

Since I know nothing about the solution function [tex]f_0(x)[/tex], I need an educated guess about its form. If the form is known I can transform into a differential equation and solve for the coefficients. I've tried some stuff but it just wouldn't work.

What may be of help is that the solution to an equation with a single integration which looks like
[tex]g(x)=C_0+\int_{x'}^b \frac{\Sigma_s}{2}\exp(-\Sigma_t(x'-x))g(x')dx'+\int_{-b}^x \frac{\Sigma_s}{2}\exp(-\Sigma_t(x-x'))g(x')dx'[/tex]
can be written as
[tex]g(x)=A_0+A_1\cosh(\sqrt{\Sigma_t(\Sigma_t-\Sigma_s)}[/tex]
I've obtained this results by transorming into a differential equation and solving that.
Please help!!!!!!!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors