View Single Post
Philocrat
Jul19-04, 09:42 PM
P: 579
Quote Quote by Imparcticle
After reading an article on self organising systems, a conclusion was made by the author(s) of the article which indicated that complexity is a dirivitive (sp? I can never spell that word) of simple systems. Once simple laws of order are being followed, eventually, complexity will arise, and finally, it would reach a point of unpredictable levels.
Now consider our present discussion here (i.e., the original idea of this thread). The universe is chaotic, disorderly and unpredictable in many circumstances (hence an origin of chaos theory). Essentially, the basic laws of the universe would be the only laws we will be able to understand fully such that we could predict/ determine certain things. Though some theories/facts ( proven theories) may seem complex, it could be that they are really simple, but relative to our mental compacity and our ability to understand, it may seem complex. What do you think? I am really unsure of what I have just stated.

Can you do the honors of expanding on this idea? What do you mean by "infinities" exactly? And "visual faculty"?
Well, the formal definitions of 'infinity' in physics, mathematics and philisophy remain what they are and I have no intention of intervening with what they are. Although I respect formal procedures, but I tend to avoid them as much as I can. Where I have a problem with formal definitions of infinity is not only where such definitions may deceptively appear conclusive but aslo where the problems which accompany them may appear persistently irresolvable.

I defined infinity as:

'limits of perceivable quantities'

Hence, if formal definitions are worth their claims, the only sensible thing that I always do is to treat them as convenient quantitative and representational devices in any given analysis. I know you are going to hate me for this: I always assume infinities to be quantitatively and analytically finite in my weird future anticipation of the human ability to subsequently perceive and comprehend them.