View Single Post
apeiron
Feb10-11, 05:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,432
Quote Quote by Al68 View Post
I made no claim of any "mysterious" factor. The factors preventing nuclear from being "too cheap to meter" are not "mysterious" at all.
Nuclear is an emotional issue. So in the interest of rational assessments, here is the most current relative cost assessments that I have seen (from a fairly pro-nuclear source).

http://web.mit.edu/ceepr/www/publications/workingpapers/2009-004.pdf

we find that the levelized cost of electricity from nuclear power is 8.4/kWh, denominated in 2007 dollars. The levelized cost of electricity from coal, exclusive of any carbon charge, is 6.2/kWh, denominated in 2007 dollars. The levelized cost of electricity from gas, exclusive of any carbon charge, is 6.5/kWh
Of course, the nuclear option has to deal with the question already raised early in this thread (from about post #240) about the practical speed of ramping up construction at a rate to meet the demand.

My starting question on nuclear is, if it is so cheap and clean, how come countries are not already doing it? We seem on the brink and yet the nuclear renaissance is still awaiting lift-off. So either a) goverments are fools, b) nuclear does not actually pan out, or c) fossil fuels are not seen to be an issue (so back to "governments are fools" then ).