View Single Post
0ddbio
Mar10-11, 11:53 PM
P: 31
So I want to start learning about topological spaces, however I couldn't even get past the definition.

My book states:

DEFINITION (Open sets, neighborhoods) Let E be an arbitrary set. A topology on E is the data of a set O of subsets of E, called the open subsets of E (for the given topology), which satisfy the following three properties:
i) [tex]\emptyset \in O[/tex] and [tex]E \in O[/tex]

I won't write the other two, but the thing I do not understand is how on earth can O contain open sets?

I checked wikipedia and they give basically the same definition as my book, but they have examples, one example is that

X={1, 2, 3, 4} with the collection τ={{}, {1, 2, 3, 4}} form a topology.
So I guess τ is like the O in my books definition... but again, how is it possible that {1, 2, 3, 4} is an open set? I thought that an open set requires there to be an [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] that can be added to any element in the open set such that the result is still in that open set.

However... I can think of many epsilons that can be added to elements in {1, 2, 3, 4} that do not give elements of the set, so why is it considered an open set?

Basically my question is... how is it possible for a finite set of natural numbers to be an open set?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes