View Single Post
SW VandeCarr
Jun21-11, 10:17 PM
P: 2,499
Quote Quote by Ken Natton View Post
What on earth…? Well it is probably pointless now. There was a serious worthwhile discussion here. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the colonial era, the notion that the historical events of European colonisation of the Americas bears any relation to the issue of multiculturalism in early 21st century Europe and the USA is patently ridiculous. For the record, the examples of insular and isolationist nations that I was thinking of were Albania and North Korea. And in contrast, I would forward modern day Britain, for all our difficulties and failings, as a fine example of the positive possibilities of cultural cross fertilisation.

And I have to make an expression of frustration at what I can only see as inconsistent moderation. The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question that warranted a serious response. How the nonsense that followed bears any more relation to social science than it does to politics and world affairs is beyond me.
I believe you are referring, at least in part, to my post 24 although you didn't observe the courtesy to quote it. Just what exactly do consider "ridiculous" or "nonsense" ?

In post 24 I was attempting to be clear about the term "multiculturalism". It can mean countries that have been historically bi/multicultural like Belgium, Canada or Switzerland. This is contrasted to countries like the USA which have been historically been monocultural but which are open to immigration. By the way, there is no compulsion for any nation to be open to immigration under International Law except perhaps in a limited sense for humane reasons.

I suggested that if a country chooses to be open to immigration, it has a right preserve its culture as it chooses. You may be of a different opinion, but that does not permit you to assign opinions (or facts) epithets such as "ridiculous" or "nonsense" because you don't agree with them. This is a violation of PF rules as I read them. If you want to quote specifics and offer a reasoned critique, then do so. Otherwise keep your opinions to yourself.