View Single Post
FlexGunship
Dec1-11, 03:01 PM
PF Gold
P: 735
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
I am not normal, I guess. This has happened to me so rarely I have a very short list of all the times it's ever happened.

Eh? This just doesn't happen to me. I dream, of course, but dreaming isn't considered hallucination.
Sleep related hallucinations are considered parasomnia (i.e. dream-like).

Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
Here, again, these things just aren't a daily occurrence in my life. I get this kind of thing only when I'm overly tired or stressed.
http://www.sleepassociation.org/inde...onsduringsleep

The American Sleep Association defines two types:

Hypnogogia:
Quote Quote by ASA
Hypnogogic hallucinations occur just before sleep, and may be accompanied by sleep paralysis, a state in which the subject is physically immobile, but fully conscious. Hypnogogia and sleep paralysis often cause fear, moreso than in sleep paralysis during hypnopompia which is often considered as part a dream by the subject, as well as feelings of difficulty breathing and muscle tightness.
And hypnopompia:
Quote Quote by ASA
Hypnopompia occurs upon waking, and may also be accompanied by sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis is much more common in hypnopompia than in hypnogogia. Sleep paralysis is often confused by the person experiencing it as part of a lucid dream, which accounts for the high number of recalled dreams with elements of being frozen in place, or being unable to move. Common hypnopompic experiences include the sensation of falling and the feeling of a presence in the room.
I should redact my statement of "While falling asleep and waking up, humans normally experience auditory and visual hallucinations" and alter it to say that "It is not abnormal for humans to experience auditory or visual hallucinations when entering or leaving a sleep-state."