View Single Post
PirateFan308
Dec6-11, 03:53 PM
P: 94
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Define the linear transformation [itex]T: R^{3} → R^{3}[/itex] by [itex]T(v)=[/itex] the projection of [itex]v[/itex] onto the vector [itex]w=(1,2,1)[/itex]

Find the (standard matrix of [itex]T[/itex])

2. Relevant equations
[itex]T: V → W[/itex] is a function from V to W (which means that for each v in V, there is a T9v) in W such that:
T(v+v')=T(v)+T(v'), T(cv) = cT(v) for all v,v'[itex]\in[/itex]V, c[itex]\in[/itex]F

For T(v) = Av, the matrix A is called the standard matrix of T

projection of v onto w = [itex](\frac{v \bullet w}{w \bullet w})(w)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
I'm having problems understanding Linear Transformations at all, and I'm not really sure if this is at all correct ... I'm thinking I should apply T to [itex]e_1, e_2, and~ e_3[/itex].

Because the transformation takes place in [itex]R^{3}[/itex], I know A will be a 3x3 matrix. Apply T to [itex]e_1[/itex], where proj [itex]e_1[/itex] onto w would be [itex](1/6, 2/6, 1/6)[/itex] and we can see that [itex]x=1/6, y=1/3, z=1/6[/itex], so should the first column of A be [itex] \begin{pmatrix} 1/6 \\ 1/3 \\ 1/6 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]? Then apply T to [itex]e_2[/itex], where proj [itex]e_2[/itex] onto w would be [itex](1/3, 2/3, 1/3)[/itex] and we can see that [itex]x=1/3, y=2/3, z=1/3[/itex], so the second column of A should be [itex] \begin{pmatrix} 1/3 \\ 2/3 \\ 1/3 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. And again, applying T to [itex]e_3[/itex] proj [itex]e_3[/itex] onto w would be [itex](1/6, 2/6, 1/6)[/itex] and we can see that [itex]x=1/6, y=1/3, z=1/6[/itex], so should the third column of A be [itex] \begin{pmatrix} 1/6 \\ 1/3 \\ 1/6 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]?

So should the matrix A be [itex] A=\begin{pmatrix} 1/6 & 1/3 & 1/6 \\ 1/3 & 2/3 & 1/6 \\ 1/6 & 1/3 & 1/6 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]? This seems odd to have the third row be the same as the first row and the third column the same as the third column.

Is this correct, or am I completely off? Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice