View Single Post
Ivan Seeking
Mar4-12, 11:41 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
Quote Quote by jreelawg View Post
I always though that it would be more likely for an intelligent extra-solar race to send "un-aliened" missions. I think that when we launch a mission to another solar system, it would make more sense to send robots.

Would you define non-biological (robotic) E.T. visitation, as Aliens?

Being able to break some of the laws of physics might make it easier for E.T. biological entities to visit us from another solar system, but I don't think it is technically impossible for biological entities to reach us. I don't think anyone can come up with any logical reason why they can't.

Personally, even under a scenario in which modern physics theories are broken, I would not consider the reverse time travel hypothesis more likely true than the alien hypothesis. I think there is a logical contradiction preventing reverse time travel which would still hold. And, I don't think that the chances of modern physics theories being incorrect is 0.
There is one published paper that addresses the point about robotic probes and even suggests where to look for them

INFLATION-THEORY IMPLICATIONS FOR EXTRATERRESTRIAL VISITATION
J. Deardorff, B. Haisch, B. Maccabee and H.E. Puthoff
Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, Vol 58, pp. 43-50, 2005.
http://www.ufoskeptic.org/JBIS.pdf

Generally, I think at least one obvious answer to the question in the op is this: If we have been or are one day visited, for better or for worse, it would be one of the most significant events in all of history. It is no wonder the idea fascinates people. And given the lack of definition and boundaries for such notions, esp for those without any scientific education, imaginations run wild virtually without limits. Hollywood helps provide a lot of fuel here, no doubt. But many of the UFO activists are the worst offenders. I have watched a fair number of people get into this and slowly develop more and more exotic beliefs as they fall victim to the nuttery surrounding the subject. Because of its potential significance, the idea of ET visitors can probably be as powerful as any religion.

I suggest that this thread has become far too speculative in regards to the what-ifs.