View Single Post
Greg Bernhardt
Mar13-12, 01:20 AM
Admin
P: 8,531
I have really been dreading writing this blog post. I feel like I've thought it over a millions times in my head, but as I sit down at the keyboard now I have no idea what to write. But I think it's best to just get it done with and give both myself and all you readers some closure. Today is my last update for Calamities of Nature. And I'll be perfectly frank about the reasons. My full-time career is in academics, and I need to put everything I have into it if I'm going to have any chance of keeping it that way. As much as I love this comic, I can't have it taking precious time away from my work. It's time to move on.

Thank you to everyone who has read and generously supported this comic for the last almost five years. Thank you for all the emails, blog posts, compliments, fan art, discussions and arguments about science and philosophy, and the transcription of over 650 comics. It's really been remarkable all the people I've met and friendships I've made through this comic. My family also deserves a huge thank you. They have been my biggest fans, and my most steadfast supporters. I couldn't have done it without you. And my two kids, I hope when you get older you'll take some time to read these silly pictures of mine and that it'll be something you can be proud of.

When I first started this comic, I was just excited to see my scribbles appearing on a computer screen. Then I was just trying to write a halfway decent joke. But then slowly something amazing occurred. The more niche I made the comics with respect to my own interests, the more widely people seemed to feel the comics were speaking to them. The more I tried to share my own personal world views, the more I found other people who shared many of the same ideas, interests, worries, insecurities, frustrations, and hopes. And from this I grew an audience that was more than I ever deserved. Thank you for being a part of it.

More...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance