View Single Post
Evo
Jan16-13, 09:46 AM
Mentor
P: 26,524
Quote Quote by Bobbywhy View Post
May I ask please, for this response where are the "mianstream (sic), aprropriate (sic) sources" that you yourself requested?

Or, could this be unsubstantiated conjecture?

Thank you for your attention,
Bobbywhy
LOL. No, I just got distracted and went to bed, forgetting to add a link.

Neurobiologists and neuropsychiatrists tend to think of dreaming sleep as "physiologically determined" and shaped by the activation of brain neurons, according to J. Allan Hobson, M.D., a Harvard Medical School psychiatrist who directs the Neurophysiology Laboratory of the Massachusetts Mental Health Center. The implications of this activation hypothesis contrast sharply with the psychoanalytic view of the dreaming process.

"What is at stake here is a theory of dreams that is scientifically valid," Dr. Hobson told 21stC. "If psychoanalytic dream theory is not scientifically valid, then psychoanalytic dream interpretation is not scientifically valid. I believe it is not."

Mitchison argued in a Nature article3 that the brain's neural memory systems are easily overloaded and that humans experience dream-laden REM to eliminate cognitive debris. In other words, dreams are nothing more than a mechanism for the nervous system to clear the brain of unnecessary, even harmful memories.

Drs. Crick and Mitchison called their theory "reverse learning" and quipped in their 1983 Nature article that "We dream to forget." In essence, they described dreams as garbage to be discarded from memory. In a later article in Behavioural Brain Research, Crick and Mitchison stated, "There is no evidence to suggest that remembered dreams are anything more than an accidental by-product of this (REM) function";
furthermore, they directly attacked psychoanalytic theory by writing, "To a modern neuroscientist Freud's theories, in spite of their appeal to the contemporary imagination, seem little better than the common belief in earlier times that dreams foretold the future, a belief which also held strong intuitive appeal."4 Their views left little room for the idea that it is psychologically valuable to analyze dreams.

Hobson adds, "Psychoanalysts want people to believe that they can interpret dreams and discover deep-seated meanings that are at the root of the dream process. I just don't think there is any scientific reason to believe that."
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/21stC/iss.../breecher.html

In other words, the OP shouldn't be worried if it was just a dream. Now, if he is obsessed with such thoughts when he is awake, he might want to seek professional help.

There is scientific study of the physiological effects of dreaming, not interpretations of their content.