View Single Post
MagnetoBLI
Jan21-13, 05:26 PM
P: 43
I am trying to understand how the Lorentz force affects bulk fluid motion when I have an applied electric field (y-axis), applied magnetic field (x-axis) and bulk fluid velocity (z-axis), all orthogonal to each other.

I understand that if the fluid was at rest, an electrostatic force would generate a velocity in the y-axis, which would also generate a Lorentz force/velocity in the z-axis and form the cyclotron effect.

However, when the bulk fluid velocity in the z-axis exists, I presume this flow cannot be considered a moving charge (as both ions and electrons are travelling) and therefore the only moving charge is associated with the electric field. Instead a dynamo effect would take place such that the momentum force of the z-axis fluid flow would generate a current in the negative y-axis (should be negative in the image) and this current would in turn produce a force in the z-axis, thus accelerating the bulk fluid motion. Therefore the net effect would be to increase the radius of the cyclotron affect in the z-axis. Is this correct?

Could you tell me where the magnetic and electric field vectors should be to produce a force perpendicular to the bulk fluid motion (right schematic in the attachment)?

Any comments are much appreciated.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Particle trajectories.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond