View Single Post
yungman
Jan31-13, 01:12 PM
P: 3,904
I take issue with the "Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics" 2nd edition by Balanis again. In Page 155 to 157, the book is trying to explain that an ellipse is really a super position of a RHC and a LHC circle with amplitude of RHC as [itex]E_R[/itex] and LHC as [itex]E_L[/itex]

The book use the example for wave travel in +z direction:
[tex]\phi_x=\frac{\pi}{2}\;\hbox { and}\;\phi_y=0 \;\hbox { to show Ex wave is leading Ey.}[/tex]
[tex]E_{x0}=E_R+E_L\;\hbox{ and } E_{y0}=E_R-E_L[/tex] AND
[tex]\vec E(0,t)=Re[\hat x (E_R+E_L)e^{j(\omega t+\frac{\pi}{2})}+\hat y (E_R-E_L) e^{j\omega t}]\;=\;Re[(E_R(\hat x j+\hat y)\;+\;E_L(\hat x j -\hat y))e^{j\omega t}]\;=\;
-\hat x ( E_R+E_L) \sin \omega t +\hat y (E_R-E_L) \cos\omega t[/tex]

This equation is independent to whether the wave is propagating in +ve or -ve z direction ( directional independent). The problem is [itex](\hat x j+\hat y)[/itex] is RHC ONLY if travel in +z direction. It is LHC if travel in -z direction. So the whole notion of [itex]E_R\;,\;E_L[/itex] have absolutely no meaning!!! I have not seen so many inconsistency in one book!!! Balanis is a very well regarded author, I cannot imagine he can make so many mistakes.....Within 20 pages, Please advice.

Thanks

Alan
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
Nature's designs inspire research into new light-based technologies
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time