View Single Post
Mike H
Mar25-03, 10:17 AM
P: 484
You may want to take a look at the books Henry Bauer (prof. emeritus of chemistry and science studies at Virginia Tech) has written, as they touch upon some realistic perspectives on science, the scientific method, and ethics in science. He has a site on Ethics in Science here:

http://www.chem.vt.edu/ethics/ethics.html

If you're looking for a well done historical account of a rather recent science ethics case, I'd suggest The Baltimore Case by Daniel Kevles, it should be out in paperback as I recall.

As a number of biomedical graduate education programs have ethics requirements in order to maintain NIH funding, there are a couple of more bio/biomedically oriented ethics books out there. The book I remember being used at my undergrad alma mater was Scientific Integrity: An Introductory Text with Cases by Francis Macrina. While only having skimmed through it, it seemed to touch upon the standard issues and was well grounded in real life aspects of research. If you're looking for something that is much more theoretical in nature and philosophically oriented, not sure off the top of my head.

If I can remember anything else, I'll post it as it comes to me.