View Single Post
.ryan.
Jun11-05, 05:42 PM
P: 14
Hello all. Over this past year, I did an independent study of elementary physics(I acquired a physics book from the teacher to look at on my own since I was unable to take the class due to lack of class space). After exhausting that book, I was immediately hooked. I know that if I major in it in college(I'll be a High school senior this coming up year), I'll be encountering extremely difficult courses. My only deterrent in majoring in physics is I've heard it said that a physicist needs more math than a math major. After looking around these forums, seeing the suggested Maths, and then looking at what those courses contained via class syllabi, I became somewhat worried. I am not one of those people that have an inherent knack for math. I had a 98 average in Pre-Cal for the year, but I know that's not saying much since it's just a high school course, and it was probably my most difficult one. I guess my question is, is it possible to be a successful(~4.0GPA) physics major if one is not inherently good at math. I have enough determination to stick it out with anything, especially if it concerns my interest(as shown by my 98 in pre-cal). But will my dedication and motivation be enough to help me be successful, or is natural prowess in math an inegral ingredient? I apologize if this sounds like an ignorant question, and I will probably be better off just jumping in and sticking it out, but I would just like to get a general idea.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds