Why Does the Chain Rule Work in Calculus?

In summary, the chain rule states that given a function and another function, the function of the combined inputs is the function of the inputs separately.
alech4466
I just learned about chain rule in calculus, but I was wondering why exactly chain rule works. I understand how to use it, just not exactly why it works.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Do u have the proof in terms of the epsilon?

I do not. I pretty much have only seen one proof of it in the calculus book, though the proof didn't explain why it works

Tom is running twice as fast as Bob. Sally is running three times as fast as Tom. Hence Sally is running six times as fast as Bob.

http://people.hofstra.edu/stefan_waner/Realworld/proofs/chainruleproof.html"

The abv. is the proof of the chain rule.

Layman(It is different from the proof):

dy/du = How y changes with the change in u
du/dx = How u changes with the change in x

(dy/du)(du/dx)
=(How y changes with the change in u)(How u changes with the change in x)
=How y changes with the change in x

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

[f(g(x)]' = f'[g(x)].g'(x)

Apart from formalities. On a piece of paper, draw rectangular axes. Right top quadrant is going to represent g (example of positive x and positive g(x) ). Sketch a smooth function in that quadrant. Horizontal axis is x, vertical is g(x).

Now turn paper 90° clockwise. The g axis is still the g axis but now it is horizontal. Draw another smooth curve in the now top quadrant – that represents f. The now vertical axis (think of it as a different piece of paper) is the f of the corresponding points of the now horizontal axis. I.e. is f(g).

So, turning the paper back to its original orientation, starting from a point x, if you draw a vertical line to the first curve, and from the meeting point a horizontal line to the second curve, you get to f[g(x)] on the second curve (turning the paper again). Take a point just above x and do the same thing again. You get a thin strip of width dx (think as) and then another thin strip of width g’(x).dx and rotating the paper again you should be able to see that it corresponds to an increase of f (i.e. df or in full d[f(g(x))]) of [f(g(x)]' = f'[g(x)].g'(x).dx

It should be more apparent when you do it than these words sound.

I ought to do a fig. maybe I will. My point is that this ought to be obvious, if it is just a thing you only learn and can demonstrate by a formal procedure it is not understood in my opinion.

20t2xqs.jpg

Something like this - maybe can be improved.

1. What is the chain rule and why is it important?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used in calculus that helps us find the derivative of a composite function. It is important because it allows us to solve complex functions by breaking them down into simpler parts.

2. How does the chain rule work?

The chain rule states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. In other words, we take the derivative of the outer function and plug in the inner function, then multiply it by the derivative of the inner function.

3. Why is the chain rule necessary?

The chain rule is necessary because without it, we would not be able to find the derivative of composite functions. It allows us to solve more complex functions and is an essential tool in calculus.

4. Can you give an example of the chain rule in action?

Sure! Let's say we have the function f(x) = (2x+1)^3. Using the chain rule, we can break this down into the outer function g(x) = x^3 and the inner function h(x) = 2x+1. The derivative of g(x) is 3x^2, and the derivative of h(x) is 2. Therefore, the derivative of f(x) is (3x^2)(2) = 6x^2.

5. How can I remember the chain rule?

One way to remember the chain rule is by using the acronym "UDU," which stands for "undo, derivative, undo." This reminds us to take the derivative of the outer function, then plug in the inner function, and finally multiply it by the derivative of the inner function.