Register to reply

Tangent vector space question

by rtharbaugh1
Tags: space, tangent, vector
Share this thread:
rtharbaugh1
Sep13-06, 10:48 AM
P: 310
I see in my notes (I don't carry The Encyclopedia Britannica around with me) that George Mostow, in his artical on analytic topology, says "The set of all tangent vectors at m of a k-dimensional manifold constitutes a linear or vector space of which k is the dimension (k real)." Well ok, maybe it is more a paraphrase than a quote.

Shouldn't the dimension of the tangent vector space be k-1? I am imagining the tangent vector space at a point on a three-sphere as a 2-D disk originating at the point, rather as if I had tacked a CD onto my globe of the Earth.

Then on the real Earth, I am at a point, and my tangent space would be the space between me and the horizon? Say I am at sea far from any coast. Should I rather think of the tangent space as the 2d surface of the ocean, or as the 3d space in which the ocean waves occur?

Thanks,

R
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
matt grime
Sep13-06, 12:57 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,396
The surface of the earth is 2-d (locally). That it lives ina 3d space is neither here nor there.

I don't know about anyone else, but my definition of a k-dimensional manifold is that locally (i.e. the tangent space) a k-dimensional vector space. So of course it should not be k-1. Unless you think that the surface of the earth is 1 dimensional.
daveb
Sep13-06, 01:03 PM
P: 925
a point on a 3-sphere can be thought of as a point on the unit 3-d sphere or the 2-d unit shell. The tangent space to the unit shell is the 2-d plane that is tangent at that point. But for the 3-d sphere, the tangent space is 3 dimensional.

HallsofIvy
Sep13-06, 05:54 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,568
Tangent vector space question

Quote Quote by rtharbaugh1
I see in my notes (I don't carry The Encyclopedia Britannica around with me) that George Mostow, in his artical on analytic topology, says "The set of all tangent vectors at m of a k-dimensional manifold constitutes a linear or vector space of which k is the dimension (k real)." Well ok, maybe it is more a paraphrase than a quote.

Shouldn't the dimension of the tangent vector space be k-1? I am imagining the tangent vector space at a point on a three-sphere as a 2-D disk originating at the point, rather as if I had tacked a CD onto my globe of the Earth.

Then on the real Earth, I am at a point, and my tangent space would be the space between me and the horizon? Say I am at sea far from any coast. Should I rather think of the tangent space as the 2d surface of the ocean, or as the 3d space in which the ocean waves occur?

Thanks,

R
As others have pointed out, the 2-D disk you are seeing as the tangent space is the tangent space to the 2-dimensional surface of the sphere, not to the 3- dimensional sphere itself.
jbusc
Sep14-06, 12:24 PM
P: 212
All a k-dimensional manifold is, is a space which locally "looks" like euclidean k-space. So in sufficiently "small" regions you would expect vectors to behave like they would in euclidean k-space, meaning the vectors "live" in a k-dimensional space. When you consider the whole manifold again, those k-dimensional spaces appear as the tangent spaces since they change as you move along the manifold.
mathwonk
Sep14-06, 06:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,488
a k manifold is something locally homeomorphic (or diffeomorphic) to R^k, while a k vector space is something linearly isomorphic to R^k.

the tgangent space is the linear space that best approxiamtes the manifold. It makes sense it should have the same dimension.

a sphere in R^3 is locally diffeomorphic to the plane, via stereographic projection, hence a sphere is 2 dimensional.
Data
Sep14-06, 08:39 PM
P: 998
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy
As others have pointed out, the 2-D disk you are seeing as the tangent space is the tangent space to the 2-dimensional surface of the sphere, not to the 3- dimensional sphere itself.
And to speak precisely, sphere always means just the surface. If you want the volume contained in it, that's a ball!
rtharbaugh1
Sep15-06, 10:34 AM
P: 310
Thanks to all. I think I get it now. R.

Register to reply