Register to reply

Slopes of curves w/o equation?

by donlin
Tags: curves, equation, slopes, w or o
Share this thread:
donlin
Sep18-06, 12:45 PM
P: 3
I have three points on a Y= -ax^2 + bx + c graph (negative parabola). I don't know how to find the equation with this information. Tangent lines? Help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
neutrino
Sep18-06, 12:51 PM
P: 2,047
Hi donlin. Welcome to PF!
Let's say one of the points is (x0, y0). What's -ax02+bx0+c equal to?
radou
Sep18-06, 12:54 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,224
Your equation is a function of one variable, Y(x)=-ax^2+bx+c. If a point (x0, y0) lies on the parabola, it must satisfy the equation f(x0) = y0. Since you have three points, after 'plugging' every one of them into the equation, you'll have three equations with three unknowns a, b and c, which are the coefficients you need.

donlin
Sep18-06, 01:15 PM
Slopes of curves w/o equation?

I think I have the slope, by connecting point A to B and then rise over run, but I don't know how to get the rest of the equation. Basically, I have a point A and slope, but I don't have the coefficients or y-intercept.
donlin
Sep18-06, 01:16 PM
Quote Quote by neutrino
Hi donlin. Welcome to PF!
Let's say one of the points is (x0, y0). What's -ax02+bx0+c equal to?
I think it's equal to y0.
neutrino
Sep18-06, 01:31 PM
P: 2,047
Quote Quote by donlin
I think I have the slope, by connecting point A to B and then rise over run, but I don't know how to get the rest of the equation. Basically, I have a point A and slope, but I don't have the coefficients or y-intercept.
You can't get the slope at one point of a parabola by connecting two points on it. It's different at every point. Use the method that radou posted.
HallsofIvy
Sep18-06, 02:46 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,292
Quote Quote by donlin
A curve does not have a slope! What you have found is the slope of the line through A and B which is irrelevant. If your question is how to find the equation of a parabola passing through three points, just put the x and y coordinates of each point into your general equation, Y= -ax^2 + bx + c, gives you three linear equations for A, B, and C.

Register to reply