Register to reply

Electric Field

by That_0ne_Guy
Tags: electric, field
Share this thread:
That_0ne_Guy
Dec23-03, 05:20 PM
P: 2
I'm a high school senior interested in completing a science project. I'm wondering what knowledge is necessary for me to understand the interaction between coherent light( like a laser) and a uniform electric field with the ultimate goal of constructing a model. The project will be a type of optics demonstration, but this one aspect is a giving me trouble.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New approach to form non-equilibrium structures
Nike krypton laser achieves spot in Guinness World Records
Unleashing the power of quantum dot triplets
arcnets
Dec24-03, 05:24 PM
P: 513
Well the standard answer is that two electromagnetic fields superimpose (i.e., add) without influencing each other. In layman's language, one beam of light will go right through another beam of light without any interaction. Same for static fields.
speso72
Dec26-03, 12:49 PM
P: 28
They will pass through one another as long as their wavelengths are not in exact phase with one another. It is difficult to achive exact phasing of wavelengths from two (or more) sources, however, it can happen. If they are in phase with one another, they will try and cancel each other out, usually resulting in some sort of static interferance or noise. The wavelength with the most power will usually win.

speso72
Dec26-03, 05:29 PM
P: 28
Electric Field

After rereading my reply, I realized I made a mistake. I said in it "as long as their wavelengths are not in exact phase with one another" when I should have said ' as long as their wavelengths are not in exact oposite phase with one another'.

Sorry about the mixup. I tend to get backwards at times.

If the wavelengths are exactly out of phase with one another, then they will try and cancel each other out.

Think Safe.
pallidin
Dec27-03, 06:20 PM
P: 2,292
Two beams of light interacting with each other? I thought the question was with regards to a coherent light source interacting with an electric field.
The coherent light will bend in the presence of a strong electric field.
wbeaty
Jan7-04, 01:42 AM
P: 116
Originally posted by pallidin
Two beams of light interacting with each other? I thought the question was with regards to a coherent light source interacting with an electric field.
The coherent light will bend in the presence of a strong electric field.
Not in any electric field humans can produce! But wouldn't it be cool if we could make lens systems out of nothing but vacuum and radio waves.
mighty2000
Jan7-04, 11:27 AM
P: 39
whould this be possible with an extremely large gradient on the nth order of light? The longer wavelengths would react less, while the shorter wavelengths would react more.

M2k

Register to reply