Register to reply

Secular matrix

by Entropia
Tags: matrix, secular
Share this thread:
Entropia
Jan9-04, 04:36 PM
P: 142
does anybody know the origins behind the *name* secular matrix?

i don't understand why a secular matrix would be called... secular.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
HallsofIvy
Jan9-04, 05:49 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,524
First, the term "secular" matrix is not a mathematical term- it is a physics term. If you look up the word "secular" in a dictionary, you will find that one of its meanings has to do with time. The "secular matrix" in quantum physics is the matrix that represents the evolution of a an operator over time.
selfAdjoint
Jan9-04, 07:49 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
Saeculum is the Latin noun meaning "a long period of time", sometimes interpreted in modern times as a century. Nominative plural saecula, plural genitive saeculorum (as in the great seal of the US: Novus ordo saeculorum = "A new order for the ages")

Secular effects in Astronomy are those that take place over a long time, gradually accumulating.

The other meaning of secular, "not religious", comes from the division in the middle ages of topics that were religious = heavenly = outside of time, versus the other kind that were bound to the flow of time found here below.

Register to reply