Mar28-07, 12:26 AM
P: 411
http://youtube.com/watch?v=q-MFZpt7TwQ

THIS is the simpsons I grew up with .
moe darklight
Mar28-07, 12:37 AM
Quote Quote by neurocomp2003 View Post
yes...i speak chinese and a bit of french. I still haven't mastered english and i was born in canada.

I wonder how learning english as a 2nd language compares to other languages. Granted english probably gets the most exposure.
Yea I'm trying to learn mandarin chinese right now as it's so widely spoken (second only to english) and so many movies are made in Chinese. ... when you ask a question, you add a "ma" at the end, right? -- I wish one of my friends spoke it natively so I could practice it with a person.

I don't have nearly as much time as i'd like to learn it though.. so I won't be fluent any time soon (wo po hue shua putun-hua! -- I have no clue how to write actual chinese letters, and I don't think I want to even try. are they as hard as they look??)

English is easy to get, but hard to get right. I still have trouble with the grammar sometimes, even after 7 years, and have to think twice when I write some sentences.

Other languages are harder to understand at first, but once you get them, they're easier to grasp because the structure is stricter.
MeJennifer
Mar28-07, 12:59 AM
P: 2,043
Quote Quote by moe darklight View Post
Yea I'm trying to learn mandarin chinese right now as it's so widely spoken (second only to english)
I suppose it depends on the definition, but Mandarin is the most widely spoken native language in the world. But having said that, it is often the case that two people from different regions in China, who both supposedly speak Mandarin, have a very hard time understanding each other.

I have no clue how to write actual Chinese letters, and I don't think I want to even try. are they as hard as they look??)
Writing is certainly not easy, especially if you want to do it the ancient way, with a large pecil using the elbow and wrist.

But recognizing characters is not so difficult as it looks as long as you approach it the right way.

First of all, contrary to what most people think, most characters in Chinese are not pictograms but picto-phonograms. And in the majority of the cases the 'picto' part has no relationship to the meaning of the character whatsoever!

Second, there is a classification system using strokes which are called radicals. Note that there are different kind of strokes that, if you look casually, might look the same, but they are not, it depends for instance on where you start and how you end. Note that this classification system is artificial, since it has no relationship to the historical development of characters. But despite that, it is good to know it because once you are accustomed to this system it is going to help you in recognizing complex characters.

If you want to learn Chinese, I highly recommend you master both the pinyin romanization system and recognizing the characters. It really helps!

祝你好运
moe darklight
Mar28-07, 01:17 AM
Quote Quote by MeJennifer View Post
it is often the case that two people from different regions in China, who both supposedly speak Mandarin, have a very hard time understanding each other.
lol yea that happens with other languages too. Say "Te voy a cojer a tu casa" to a Spanish-speaking person from spain, and one from Argentina, and you'll get a very very different response.

I remember my mom was excited she had a patient from latin america, eager to do therapy in spanish again. After one session she was horrified that she couldn't understand half of what the patient was talking about.

As for writing/readin chinese, I think I'll have to wait a while on to that one... you know... at least 'till I'm past the "hello, I am from canada, where is the toilet-room" phase
moe darklight
Mar28-07, 02:16 AM
Quote Quote by MeJennifer View Post
祝你好运
What's it say? -- looking at that I'm guessing the dyslexic must have a pretty tough time in china
eaboujaoudeh
Mar28-07, 03:04 AM
P: 183
i wonder, how they expect us to learn chinese, when they can't understand each other !! :)
Vagrant
Mar28-07, 03:11 AM
P: 200
I know English, Hindi, Bengali, Sanskrit and a little Urdu. Personally I think Urdu sounds nicest. Even simple things sound beautiful and profound in Urdu.
HallsofIvy
Mar28-07, 06:46 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,363
Your mother's language!
verdigris
Mar28-07, 07:13 AM
P: 129
I think french is the nicest sounding language.English is a very efficient language - a lot is said with relatively few words.And I think that languages that are spoken with a lot of body language - hand movements and so on - have a beauty of their own.
neurocomp2003
Mar28-07, 08:25 AM
P: 1,373
"wo po hue shua putun-hua" is that an chinese pinyin or and taiwanese pinyin or your own.
I think you mixed up some of the english sounds: cuz it sounds like "your trying to say i don't know how to talk normal speech" but not quite correct ... Sadly i can't read or write chinese characters but the two words in the middle that MeJen wrote are "you" and "are"/"how are"

Some chinese words are relatively pictographs such as wood and mouth and water. There is also a chinese alphabet (not pinyin but bopomofo) that makes everything so much easier to read and write =] but its not recognized in many places(mostly just in taiwan and canada)

I think the chinese should use the bopomofo rather than the pinyin. As it makes everything easier and prettier. Especially for people having two native languages.

Chinese is alot easier to learn when you don't start off with characters =]
radou
Mar28-07, 08:48 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,224
German does.
Maxwells Demon
Mar28-07, 12:28 PM
P: n/a
I don't think Spanish sound very nice..

but FRENCH, uhh.. women speaking French, it is soo nice :)
radou
Mar28-07, 01:33 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Maxwells Demon View Post
I don't think Spanish sound very nice..

but FRENCH, uhh.. women speaking French, it is soo nice :)
I claim exactly the opposite.
moe darklight
Mar28-07, 04:43 PM
Quote Quote by neurocomp2003 View Post
"wo po hue shua putun-hua" is that an chinese pinyin or and taiwanese pinyin or your own.
I think you mixed up some of the english sounds: cuz it sounds like "your trying to say i don't know how to talk normal speech" but not quite correct ... Sadly i can't read or write chinese characters but the two words in the middle that MeJen wrote are "you" and "are"/"how are"
lol I was trying to say I can't speak chinese. aah my chinese is so bad I can't even say that I can't speak chinese right
neurocomp2003
Mar28-07, 06:55 PM
P: 1,373
hehehe...nah its cuz i don't know how to read the pinyin...oop s the first quote was too early =]
"i don't know how to talk normal speech"

i would have typed "wo boo hway {swo/jung} kuo ue" (not really pinyin,closer to taiwans though)
or "wo de kuo ue hin lan" (roughly my mandarin is bad).
Anttech
Apr27-07, 01:51 PM
P: 1,401
Italian is by far the nicest to listen to with allo thosea voweli everyo wherei... :D

I also like Greek but I am a bit biased...
Anttech
Apr27-07, 01:59 PM
P: 1,401
Arabic and Hebrew do have similarities (salam = shalom)-- they have similar origins and have developed side by side ... much like european languages are very similar and share common Latin origins or influences.
This isnt really true.

In Europe we have many Language groups:

Slavic
Greek
Ugric
Latin
Germanic

None really have anything to do with one another, really. There are off course exceptions to the rules
radou
Apr27-07, 02:06 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Anttech View Post
Italian is by far the nicest to listen to with allo thosea voweli everyo wherei... :D
I second that.

Register to reply