Wildlife Photos

by SpaceTiger
Tags: photography
turbo
May16-07, 03:53 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Wonderful shots! I like the last one - lots of character.
larkspur
May16-07, 03:58 PM
P: 790
More great ones ST. Was it an overcast day when shots 1,2,and 4 were taken? I like the color saturation and soft lighting in these shots.
larkspur
May16-07, 04:00 PM
Now I can see that shot #2 must have been in the shade as there is a spot of sunlight on the grass in the upper left corner....
SpaceTiger
May16-07, 04:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,977
Quote Quote by larkspur View Post
More great ones ST. Was it an overcast day when shots 1,2,and 4 were taken? I like the color saturation and soft lighting in these shots.
We try to avoid overcast days whenever possible, but we also avoid direct sunlight. I don't remember the exact situation with these shots, but we usually go out in the morning or evening when skies are clear. We had a little less control over the lighting in the Everglades, but if I recall, most of the days turned out pretty nice anyhow. The first two were taken at the Anhinga Trail and probably on a sunny morning. We have some even closer shots from there, but I don't have access to them at the moment.
turbo
May16-07, 05:22 PM
PF Gold
Because some birds (I won't mention any names, but it rhymes with "coldfinches") throw away bout half of the seeds that they take out of the feeders, we have lots of sunflower seeds on the ground. As a result, I'm raising a thriving herd of squirrels. Since squirrel-herding is not a profitable enterprise, I feel free to exploit them by photographing them. I am a squirrel paparazzi. This little guy headed up the stairs to the deck and saw me sitting up there, then retreated to the herb garden and perched on a landscaping timber to give me hell. If he becomes famous, I could tell you stories....

larkspur
May16-07, 05:59 PM
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Because some birds (I won't mention any names, but it rhymes with "coldfinches") throw away bout half of the seeds that they take out of the feeders, we have lots of sunflower seeds on the ground. As a result, I'm raising a thriving herd of squirrels. Since squirrel-herding is not a profitable enterprise, I feel free to exploit them by photographing them. I am a squirrel paparazzi. This little guy headed up the stairs to the deck and saw me sitting up there, then retreated to the herb garden and perched on a landscaping timber to give me hell. If he becomes famous, I could tell you stories....
LOL Turbo that is a cute shot and even better story!
turbo
May16-07, 07:17 PM
PF Gold
LOL Turbo that is a cute shot and even better story!
Thanks, larkspur! These guys s are cute as hell and as feisty as all get-out.
dontdisturbmycircles
May16-07, 07:59 PM
P: 560
Geez, so many nice pictures in this thread!!

Wish I had a good camera, we have had birds sitting on our fence all day.
larkspur
May19-07, 01:37 PM
Went out early this morning and snapped a few:

Lisa!
May19-07, 01:46 PM
PF Gold
P: 971
Wow! How cute!
Thank you for sharing the pics.
Astronuc
May19-07, 02:00 PM
Admin
P: 21,637
Pregnant doe perhaps, or just well feed.

Nice pic of the bluebird. We see them once in while.
turbo
May19-07, 02:07 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post

Oh, yeah! That doe is going to be dropping at least one fawn this month - more likely two. Here in Maine they generally won't twin until they are at least 3 or 4 years old, but in milder climes, they frequently twin at 2.
larkspur
May19-07, 05:21 PM
Quote Quote by Lisa! View Post
Wow! How cute!
Thank you for sharing the pics.
Thanks Lisa!
larkspur
May19-07, 05:28 PM

The whole herd looked pretty well fed but the older does were definitely wider than the younger does (?yearlings).

I have some bluebirds in my neighborhood but since they don't come to bird feeders I have to go somewhere with fence posts to take their picture. My auto focus chose the fence post instead of the bird but I still like the shot.
Astronuc
May19-07, 05:41 PM
Admin
The whole herd looked pretty well fed but the older does were definitely wider than the younger does (?yearlings).
or two year olds. I would defer to turbo on the subject. I occasionally see twins with a mom.

I have some bluebirds in my neighborhood but since they don't come to bird feeders I have to go somewhere with fence posts to take their picture. My auto focus chose the fence post instead of the bird but I still like the shot.
The bluebirds have gone after insects, worms and berries, but they never birdfeeders. Bluebirds behave more like robins - both are member of the family - Turdidae (Thrushes).
turbo
May19-07, 05:51 PM
PF Gold
The bluebirds have gone after insects, worms and berries, but they never birdfeeders. Bluebirds behave more like robins - both are member of the family - Turdidae (Thrushes).
Yes. They and the thrushes and the lovely, secretive phoebes are meat-eaters, though they are confined to little animals (worms, insects, etc). We not only encourage seed-eaters (finches, grosbeaks, etc) to live here - we encourage the insectivores to live here so they can help us keep the bugs down so that we can protect our vegetable garden without using poisons.
Astronuc
May19-07, 06:53 PM
Admin
Probably goes under YouTube or Google Video, but it is about wild life.

Birth of a baby elephant -
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...44891704882660
larkspur
May20-07, 03:10 PM
Probably goes under YouTube or Google Video, but it is about wild life.

Birth of a baby elephant -
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...44891704882660
WOW! I was captivated by that!!
Thanks Astronuc!

Register to reply