∫sqrt (1+sec^4(x)) dx

• Thread starter skeem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx
In summary, the conversation is about solving the integral of sqrt(1+sec^4(x)) dx. The conversation includes attempts at using the substitution rule, Simpson method, and Maple to solve the problem, with various degrees of success. Ultimately, the conversation ends with a numerical approximation of the integral.
skeem

Homework Statement

solve : ∫ sqrt (1+sec^4(x)) dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do the substitution rule but it makes the problem more complicated

Physics news on Phys.org
What substitution did you use?

U= sec(x)
dU= sec (x) tan (x) dx

I think it's wrong anyway

This is not an easy integral, you sure you have got it written down right?
in fact integrating sqrt(1+x^4) dx or 1/sqrt(1-sin x ^2) is a hard enough problem. for something that looks like sqrt(1+(sec x)^4) you would expect that it is related elliptic integrals.

mjsd yes I'm sure of it...

I tried also Simpson method and got = 1.278 but that is just an approximation.

I don't seem to follow you skeem, this is an indefinite integral you proposed to us, yet you are using some sort of bounds for your simpsons rule approximation. Perhaps telling us the bounds could help, as it does in many cases.

I think the best method would be a substitution t=tan(x/2), however if possible its definitely not easy. The integrator doesn't rule out the possibility, just states that it could not do it in the alloted time..perhaps someone with mathematicia on their computer can do it for us?

Maple gives a closed form solution

[tex]-\sqrt {{\frac {1+\cos \left( x \right) }{\cos \left( x \right) }}}

\sqrt {-2\,{\frac {\cos \left( x \right) }{1+\cos \left( x \right) }}}

\sqrt {2}{\it arctanh} \left( 1/2\,\sqrt {2}\sin \left( x \right)

\sqrt {-2\,{\frac {\cos \left( x \right) }{1+\cos \left( x \right) }}}

\left( \cos \left( x \right) \right) ^{-1} \right)

[/tex]

Thankfully, it let's you convert automatically to latex :)

It should be noted that when I take the integral of that expression in maple, it just doesn't do it, instead giving me the "symbolic" answer of an integral sign followed up by the expression. Simplify doesn't seem to simplify it very much either

Last edited:
Gib Z the bounds are 0 and pi/4

Office_Shredder that's horrible solution! but I really appreciate your help

I apologize... I went back to have maple numerically solve from 0 to pi/4, and realized earlier I had mistyped, and only evaluated the integral of
[tex][1+sec(x)]^{1/2}[/tex] Maple doesn't actually do the integral you're told in a closed form solution, but the numerical approximation is 1.277978059

1. What is the purpose of the square root in the integral "∫sqrt (1+sec^4(x)) dx"?

The square root in the integral serves to simplify the expression and make it easier to integrate. It also helps to identify the integral as a type of trigonometric substitution problem.

2. How do you solve the integral "∫sqrt (1+sec^4(x)) dx"?

To solve this integral, we can use the trigonometric substitution u = sec(x). This will transform the integral into "∫sqrt(1+u^4) du", which can then be solved using standard integration techniques.

3. Does the integral "∫sqrt (1+sec^4(x)) dx" have a closed form solution?

Yes, it does. After applying the trigonometric substitution u = sec(x), the integral can be solved using the formula for integrating the square root of a quartic polynomial.

4. Can the integral "∫sqrt (1+sec^4(x)) dx" be approximated numerically?

Yes, it can be approximated numerically using numerical integration techniques such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule. These methods can provide a close approximation to the exact value of the integral.

5. Are there any practical applications for the integral "∫sqrt (1+sec^4(x)) dx"?

Yes, this integral has applications in physics and engineering, particularly in problems involving oscillatory motion or in the calculation of areas under certain curves. It can also arise in the evaluation of certain types of definite integrals in mathematics.