Vector Transformation

by nille40
Tags: transformation, vector
Share this thread:
nille40
Jan31-04, 04:41 AM
P: 34
Hi! I'm in serious need of some help.

I am supposed to show that a transformation [tex]\mathcal{A} = \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^m[/tex] can be separated into [tex]\mathcal{A} = i \circ \mathcal{B} \circ p[/tex] where
  • [tex]p[/tex] is the projection on the (orthogonal) complement of the kernel of [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex].

[tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex] is an invertible transformation from the complement to the kernel to the image of [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex].

[tex]i[/tex] is the inclusion of the image in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex]

I hardly know where to start! I would really like some help. I asked this question before, in a different topic, but got a response I didn't understand. I posted a follow-up, but got no response on that.

Thanks in advance,
Nille
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
matt grime
Jan31-04, 08:00 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,396
let K be the kernel of B. Then A is K direct sum K*, where we'll use * to denote the complementary vector space.

Let p be the map p(k) = 0 if k in K, and p(x)=x for x in K*, extended linearly. This means that any vector in A can be written as x+k for x in K* and k in K, and then

p(x+k)=x.

This is your projection.

Notice that for all v in A that Bp(v)=v.

The inclusion is the dual construction:

Let I be the image of B. This is a subspace of of R^n. Pick a complementary subspace I*

Then there is a natural map from I to Idirect sum I*, just the inclusion of the vector, call tis map i.

Obviously the map iBp is the same as B.

This is just the Isomorphism theorems glued together.

Register to reply