Only room for two Billion

by wolram
Tags: billion, room
wolram
Oct30-06, 08:40 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,671
http://dieoff.org/page174.htm

A world population of 2 billion, in addition to having adequate food, renewable energy, and forest products, should also have adequate freshwater resources (Postel, 1997). For agricultural and industrial production as well as public needs, we suggest approximately 1.2 million liters per person each year. Water resources, as with soil, would have to be conserved and pollution controlled. Humans would need to cease the overdraft of ground-water resources, instead, using ground-water in a more sustainable manner. Again, technologies are currently available for the effective management and protection of water resources (Postel,

So who is going to leave?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Online retailers have clear advantage by not collecting sales tax
Ask yourself: Will you help the environment?
wolram
Oct30-06, 09:38 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,671
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4391835.stm

The report says only four ecosystem services have been enhanced in the last 50 years: increases in crop, livestock and aquaculture production, and increased carbon sequestration for global climate regulation (which has come from new forests planted in the Northern Hemisphere).

Two services - fisheries and fresh water - are said now to be well beyond levels that can sustain current, much less future, demands.
Mallignamius
Mar19-07, 02:42 AM
P: 101
*raises hand* I guess it's "no kids" for me. I can leave behind a better legacy, I think.

Greg Bernhardt
Aug17-07, 01:33 PM
Admin
P: 8,542

Only room for two Billion

Quote Quote by wolram View Post

Two services - fisheries and fresh water - are said now to be well beyond levels that can sustain current, much less future, demands.
Which is why I've bought stock in water technology companies!
Doc Al
Aug17-07, 02:01 PM
Mentor
P: 40,905
Quote Quote by wolram View Post
So who is going to leave?
I have a few suggestions....
Moridin
Aug17-07, 03:13 PM
P: 858
Eugenics probably will not turn out that good. Russian Roulette? It is either that or making developed countries out of the developing world to reduce birth rate.
ThienAn
Dec19-07, 02:01 PM
P: 14
Where did you even get the world's population is 2 billions. China's population is 2 billions
Evo
Dec19-07, 02:10 PM
Mentor
P: 25,959
Quote Quote by ThienAn View Post
Where did you even get the world's population is 2 billions. China's population is 2 billions
No, he's saying that ideally a world population of 2 billion would be highly sustainable.
falc39
Dec19-07, 07:48 PM
P: 14
I recommend anyone interested in this subject to read The Ultimate Resource 2. Awesome book.

Register to reply