Can you easily invert 3 by 3 matrices using a simple formula?

• Thread starter The Divine Zephyr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matricies
In summary, the conversation discussed the process of finding the inverse of a matrix using Gaussian elimination and the concept of nonsingular and singular matrices. The conversation also mentioned the importance of knowing the topic well and practicing solving for inverses.
The Divine Zephyr
Anyone know how to do it? Please provide an easy explination. Please help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it like inverting any other form of matrix? You write up your matrix and the identity matrix like so:

Code:
a b c | 1 0 0
d e f | 0 1 0
g h i | 0 0 1

And perform Gaussian elimination until you reach:

Code:
1 0 0 | x y z
0 1 0 | p q w
0 0 1 | r t u

Then the matrix to the right of the |-signs is the inverse you're looking for.

Last edited:
Yep. There are other methods (cofactors divided by determinant) but row-reduction is the simplest.

Originally posted by Muzza
Isn't it like inverting any other form of matrix? You write up your matrix and the identity matrix like so:

Code:
a b c | 1 0 0
d e f | 0 1 0
g h i | 0 0 1

And perform Gaussian elimination until you reach:

Code:
1 0 0 | x y z
0 1 0 | p q w
0 0 1 | r t u

Then the matrix to the right of the |-signs is the inverse you're looking for.

Awesome! But.. umm... what is Gaussian elimination?

If you are going to ask questions about Linear Algebra it would be a good idea to read at least the first few chapters of a textbook on linear algebra!

"Gaussian Elimination" is basically the method of "elimination of variables" to solve a system of equations- multiply one equation by a number, add to another in order to eliminate one of the variables. It is often used specifically to denote the same thing applied to matrices of coefficients of the equations.

Oh, that? I get it. Thank you.

My reply

hello.

It would also be better to practice solving for the inverse of a matrix. And, it would be easier for you if you know know the topic by heart. =)

Of course, not all matrices have an inverse, or what we call a nonsingular matrix. This is very "special" later in the topic.
One example is the use of determinants.

Start with basics

Originally posted by franz32

Of course, not all matrices have an inverse, or what we call a nonsingular matrix. This is very "special" later in the topic.
One example is the use of determinants.

Start with basics

Yeah if the determinant of a matrix is zero, it does not contain an inverse and is a nonsingular matrix.

You've got singular and nonsingular backward. Singular matrices have zero determinants and don't have inverses, because in computing the inverse you divide by the determinant (even if you don't think you do!) and dividing by zero is a "singular" mathematical operation, i.e. not defined.

Nonsingular matrices do have inverses, and necessarily then they have nonzero determinants.

I believe the formula for the inverse of a nxn matrix is

inverse of A = 1/(det(A)) * adj(A)

i speak under correction. we did this last year and i have forgotten most of last year's stuff during the holidays

1. What is the purpose of inverting a 3 by 3 matrix?

Inverting a 3 by 3 matrix allows us to find the inverse of the original matrix, which is useful for solving systems of linear equations and performing other mathematical operations.

2. How do you determine if a 3 by 3 matrix is invertible?

A 3 by 3 matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero. The determinant of a 3 by 3 matrix can be found by using the cross product method or by using a formula specific to 3 by 3 matrices.

3. Can all 3 by 3 matrices be inverted?

No, not all 3 by 3 matrices are invertible. A matrix is only invertible if its determinant is non-zero. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is said to be singular and cannot be inverted.

4. What is the process for inverting a 3 by 3 matrix?

To invert a 3 by 3 matrix, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method. This involves performing row operations on the original matrix until it is in reduced row-echelon form, at which point the inverse matrix can be easily determined.

5. Are there any limitations to inverting 3 by 3 matrices?

Yes, there are some limitations to inverting 3 by 3 matrices. For example, the process can become much more complex and time-consuming for larger matrices, and certain types of matrices may not have a simple inverse. Additionally, the inverse of a matrix may not always be a valid solution to a system of equations, so it is important to check the solution after inverting a matrix.