water to steam

by sparc
Tags: steam, water
sparc
Jan19-08, 07:11 PM
P: 2
Hi all,

I am looking to find out how much water expands when it turns to steam at the same pressure. like if you have an open pot with water boiling on the stove. if you took one ounce of that water how much steam does it turn into? I have searched the internet and come up with various answers which are close but not the same. I've found reference to 1647 times, 1689, and over 1700. So which is right or none of them?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
Astronuc
Jan19-08, 09:02 PM
Admin
P: 21,637
At 212F, 14.7 psia, liquid water has a specific volume of 0.016716 ft3/lbm and steam has a specfic volume of 26.80 3/lbm, which is a volume ratio of ~1603 : 1 of steam:water.

Ref: http://www.eas.asu.edu/~holbert/eee463/SteamTable.pdf
sparc
Jan19-08, 10:48 PM
P: 2
Thank you for your assistance, that's what i was looking for, though the ratio is lower than i found elsewhere for 14.7 psia. any idea why there is such a wide range of 'correct' answers to this condition? It seems that it would be straight forward and the answer should be consistent for the same conditions.

Astronuc
Jan20-08, 12:26 AM
Admin
P: 21,637

water to steam

Quote Quote by sparc View Post
Thank you for your assistance, that's what i was looking for, though the ratio is lower than i found elsewhere for 14.7 psia. any idea why there is such a wide range of 'correct' answers to this condition? It seems that it would be straight forward and the answer should be consistent for the same conditions.
I really don't know unless those values do not account for the thermal expansion of the liquid water.

For example, water at 80F has a specific volume of 0.016073 ft3/lbm so the liquid water at 212F with a specific volume of .016716 3/lbm has volume of 1.04 times that of water at 80F, and the steam at 212F has then 1667 times the volume of liquid water at 80F.

The steam to water volume ratio depends on which reference temperature one selects for the water and the ambient pressure.

Register to reply