(problem) Spherical trigonometry and star declination

In summary, the problem is to find the declination of a circumpolar star given its maximum azimuth and the celestial sphere with the Pole, Zenith, and a circle representing the star's path. The solution involves using the spherical triangle PZX with PZ being 90 degrees minus the latitude and the angle PZX being the azimuth, and solving for the declination using the equation sin(45) / sin(PXZ) = sin(90-d) / sin A. This problem is similar to other problems in "Astronomy - Principles and Practice" by Roy/Clarke.
giann_tee
I am looking for a general approach for a type of problems as follows...

Certain circumpolar star has a maximum azimuth A given for example as an angle from North to East and from North to West. Whats the declination of that star?

The problem looks like this: draw a celestial sphere and add Pole and Zenith. Put some small circle around the Pole representing the path of the star.

The Pole as the circle's center is on the local meridian (standard Zenith-North_pole-South_pole great circle).

From Zenith to the horizon we draw any 90degree meridian that is touching the edge of the given circle around the Pole. Two such lines from Zenith to horizon are defining just how wide the circle around Pole is.

How do I solve this?

I took the place where meridians touch with the star path - where the star is in extreme position for measuring Azimuth; call that place X.

The spherical triangle PZX has PZ=90-latitude and angle(pZx) is the Azimuth. However, beyond this the problem seems unsolvable.

Using software to simulate numerical case, I get an equation of type cos x + sin x = ... which can be solved in a computer but I think that's no real solution.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Here's a problem from "Astronomy - Principles and Practice" Roy/Clarke

"10. In north latitude 45◦ the greatest azimuth (east or west) of a circumpolar star is 45◦. Prove that the star’s
declination is 60◦ N."

(page 87)

Here's one that sounds similar but I can't guarantee...

"8. Calculate the azimuths of the star Procyon (declination = 5◦ N) when its zenith distance is 80◦ as seen by
an observer in latitude 56◦ N."

(page 87, same book)

In that one I got 261,2841degrees and 98.7159degrees for Azimuths.

giann_tee said:
Here's a problem from "Astronomy - Principles and Practice" Roy/Clarke

"10. In north latitude 45◦ the greatest azimuth (east or west) of a circumpolar star is 45◦. Prove that the star’s
declination is 60◦ N."

(page 87)

Today I returned to this problem and came to realize it is very easy. The solution follows:

given that X is the position of the star on celestial sphere,

sin(45) / sin(PXZ) = sin (90-d) / sin A

The point is that anglePXZ is 90 degrees because the radius of the star's path is PX and ZX is tangential to that circle.

(In mind however, the angleZPX varies creating impression that circle starting from P to the point of intersection X is of a small type circles.)

Likes Bharat Hazarika

1. What is spherical trigonometry?

Spherical trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of spherical triangles, which are triangles drawn on the surface of a sphere. It is used to solve problems related to navigation, astronomy, and geodesy.

2. How is spherical trigonometry applied to star declination?

Spherical trigonometry is used to calculate the declination of stars, which is the angle between a star and the celestial equator. This calculation is important for celestial navigation and astronomy as it helps determine the location of a star in the sky.

3. What is the formula for calculating star declination using spherical trigonometry?

The formula for calculating star declination is d = arcsin(sin(L) x sin(δ) + cos(L) x cos(δ) x cos(H)), where d is the declination, L is the observer's latitude, δ is the star's declination, and H is the star's hour angle. This formula is derived from the law of spherical trigonometry known as the spherical law of cosines.

4. Can spherical trigonometry be used for other celestial bodies besides stars?

Yes, spherical trigonometry can be used to calculate the declination of other celestial bodies such as planets, comets, and asteroids. It can also be used to determine the positions of these bodies in the sky relative to each other.

5. How has the use of spherical trigonometry for star declination changed over time?

The use of spherical trigonometry for star declination has evolved over time with advancements in technology. In the past, it was primarily used for celestial navigation and determining the positions of stars in the sky. However, with the development of modern telescopes and astronomical instruments, it is now also used in astrometry and the study of the motions and distances of stars and other celestial objects.