Westell 327W Wireless Modem/Router

by Astronuc
Tags: 327w, modem or router, westell, wireless
Share this thread:
Astronuc
Oct28-07, 03:16 PM
Admin
P: 21,808
A friend has one with his DSL service. I was planning to put in a wireless router (which I may still do depending on need) and discovered that the Westell 327W modem also has a built in router with cable/wireless capability.

There is a forum that deals with DSL matters, and it addresses this particular system.

I found this useful.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12262394

Note in method one -
Assign your Versalink router an IP address that is in the same class as your Linksys router. Meaning if assigned your Linksys router has an IP address of 192.168.50.1, then you give the Versalink router the IP address of 192.168.5.2. Use the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
192.168.5.2. should be 192.168.50.2 - the third numbers (octet) should be the same.

One can use the modem/router strictly as a modem and let the separate router be the network (LAN and DHCP) controller.

I'm used to a dump modem without the router built in.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
turbo
Oct28-07, 03:32 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
I had a separate DSL modem and wireless router years back, and when we moved out here, the phone company supplied a DSL modem/router with both wireless and corded ethernet capabilities. Now I have a very expensive/currently useless Linksys wireless router kicking around. If you want it, say the word and I'll ship it to you.
Astronuc
Oct28-07, 04:10 PM
Admin
P: 21,808
Well I may have a surplus wireless router now, since I didn't check my friend's system first and just assumed he had a DSL modem, and I didn't think to ask first or check it out. Had I known that he had a Westell 327W or equivalent then I wouldn't have bothered buying a wireless router. On the other hand, depending on how well the Westell works, we might still use the Linksys for added security.

My friend is looking for the Westell documentation because I need to access the setup/config pages which are password protected.

So folks - keep track of your documentation - particularly usernames and passwords. Passworks should be 8+ characters including special characters like @#$%^&*!, but not so complicated you can't remember them.

takenitlight
Apr25-08, 10:53 AM
P: 3
Westell 327W Wireless Modem/Router

Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
I had a separate DSL modem and wireless router years back, and when we moved out here, the phone company supplied a DSL modem/router with both wireless and corded ethernet capabilities. Now I have a very expensive/currently useless Linksys wireless router kicking around. If you want it, say the word and I'll ship it to you.
Do you still have that extra Linksys router? If so, if it is "G", does it still need a new home?

Thanks!
takenitlight
Apr25-08, 10:59 AM
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Well I may have a surplus wireless router now, since I didn't check my friend's system first and just assumed he had a DSL modem, and I didn't think to ask first or check it out. Had I known that he had a Westell 327W or equivalent then I wouldn't have bothered buying a wireless router. On the other hand, depending on how well the Westell works, we might still use the Linksys for added security.

My friend is looking for the Westell documentation because I need to access the setup/config pages which are password protected.

So folks - keep track of your documentation - particularly usernames and passwords. Passworks should be 8+ characters including special characters like @#$%^&*!, but not so complicated you can't remember them.
Finally got my parents to get DSL & Verison sends them that Westell (Model Number
D90-327W15-06). What a pain! My mom runs into trouble every now & again, and now I can't netmeeting and/ or rdc. Saw directions, but can't get it 2 work right...
turbo
Apr25-08, 01:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by takenitlight View Post
Do you still have that extra Linksys router? If so, if it is "G", does it still need a new home?

Thanks!
It WAS a G and it is in a new home already. Sorry!
takenitlight
Apr25-08, 01:21 PM
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
It WAS a G and it is in a new home already. Sorry!

Thanks 4 the quick response!

Have a great weekend!

Register to reply