Register to reply

Estimating parameters from multivariate normal

Share this thread:
jimmy1
May17-08, 11:31 AM
P: 61
I need to estimate parameters from data that follow a mutinormal distribution. The parameters that I need to estimate are contained in the expression for the mean of the marginal normal distributions. That is each marginal distribution has mean:

[tex] \frac{p_1*c_i + p_1*y}{p_1+p_2}[/tex]

where [tex]p_1[/tex], [tex]p_2[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] are the paramters that I need to estimate and [tex]c_i[/tex] is just a known contant associated with the ith marginal. [tex]p_1[/tex] and [tex]p_2[/tex] are random parameters and [tex]y[/tex] is a fixed parameter.

I've tried using a multinormal likelihood approach, which gives an estimate for the mean as the sample mean, but how do I get estimate of the actual parameters from this sample mean? Can I even use this approach?

Also is there an added complexity to estimating parameters when there are random parameters, as is the case with [tex]p_1[/tex] and [tex]p_2[/tex]?

Any help, on how best to estimate the paramters [tex]p_1[/tex], [tex]p_2[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] would be great?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space

Register to reply