Higgs Boson and Space in an Atom

In summary, there is a difference between the Higgs field and the Higgs boson. The Higgs field is a flat, all-encompassing field that gives particles their mass. The Higgs boson is a ripple in this field that can be created in particle accelerator collisions. While the Higgs boson is important for measuring properties of the Higgs field, it is not a force carrier and does not play a significant role in physics. The Higgs field, on the other hand, is crucial for understanding the behavior of particles.
Noj Werdna
In an atom we know that there is a large space between the particles in an atom.
Is this space supposedly filled with the higgs boson prarticle and if so how can we not have seen this particle before.
Approx. how many of this boson would that mean there would be!
Just speculation really...
:)

Physics news on Phys.org
[[What I am about to say might be wrong, and doesn't cover the difference between virtual and on-shell particles which I don't understand very well. Please correct me if I make any mistakes...]]

What is important is to keep in mind the difference between the Higgs field and the Higgs boson.

You sometimes hear that the Higgs field permeates space. It is everywhere. It is between the spaces between electrons in atoms.

But, what is a field? A field is just a series of values, a complex number in the case of the Higgs Boson, tacked to each point in space.

On the other hand, what is a boson-- what is a particle? A particle is an excitation of a field. A particle, a boson, is a ripple in the values of the field.

The Higgs field permeates space. But it is flat. It takes the same value everywhere. The "empty space" in an atom does contain the Higgs field, but it's as far as I know it's all a flat ocean of Higgsness between the electrons.

The "Higgs Boson" we want to find is a ripple in the Higgs field. This ripple could be created in a particle accelerator collision. But the Higgs particle, the ripple, isn't something which is important in physics, I don't think, because it doesn't normally or commonly happen in nature. We want to find the Higgs particle so that we can measure various properties of the Higgs field. But it's the flat field which does all the important physics stuff.

Quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_field#Theoretical_overview: "In essence, this (Higgs) field is analogous to a pool of molasses, that “sticks” to the otherwise massless fundamental particles which travel through the field converting into different particles with mass and form the basis of the atom."

Quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_carrier: "In the Standard Model the hypothetical Higgs boson, which is needed to account for the masses of fundamental particles, interacts via the weak interaction and Yukawa interactions but is not a force carrier."

You should check out these sites: http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761562335_3/Elementary_Particles.html#s35
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_field

Last edited by a moderator:
Coin said:
[[What I am about to say might be wrong, and doesn't cover the difference between virtual and on-shell particles which I don't understand very well. Please correct me if I make any mistakes...]]

What is important is to keep in mind the difference between the Higgs field and the Higgs boson.

You sometimes hear that the Higgs field permeates space. It is everywhere. It is between the spaces between electrons in atoms.

But, what is a field? A field is just a series of values, a complex number in the case of the Higgs Boson, tacked to each point in space.

On the other hand, what is a boson-- what is a particle? A particle is an excitation of a field. A particle, a boson, is a ripple in the values of the field.

The Higgs field permeates space. But it is flat. It takes the same value everywhere. The "empty space" in an atom does contain the Higgs field, but it's as far as I know it's all a flat ocean of Higgsness between the electrons.

The "Higgs Boson" we want to find is a ripple in the Higgs field. This ripple could be created in a particle accelerator collision. But the Higgs particle, the ripple, isn't something which is important in physics, I don't think, because it doesn't normally or commonly happen in nature. We want to find the Higgs particle so that we can measure various properties of the Higgs field. But it's the flat field which does all the important physics stuff.

This is a pretty good description of the situation, IMHO.

GRB, thanks for pointing out to me the short, but helpful Wikipedia article on the Higgs boson.
Wish other Wikipedia physics articles were as easy to read by a layman, such as myself. However, the links you provided for "Force carrier" & "encarta" apparenly no longer exist.

1. What is the Higgs Boson particle?

The Higgs Boson particle, also known as the "God particle", is a subatomic particle that is theorized to give other particles their mass. It was first discovered in 2012 by scientists at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Switzerland.

2. How does the Higgs Boson relate to space in an atom?

The Higgs Boson plays a crucial role in the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental building blocks of matter and their interactions. It is believed that the Higgs Boson gives mass to the particles that make up atoms, which in turn make up the space around us.

3. What is the significance of the Higgs Boson discovery?

The discovery of the Higgs Boson is significant because it confirms the existence of the Higgs field, which is a fundamental part of the Standard Model. It also helps to explain how particles obtain their mass, which was previously a mystery in physics.

4. How was the Higgs Boson discovered?

The Higgs Boson was discovered by colliding protons at extremely high speeds in the LHC. This collision produced a burst of energy that was then detected and analyzed by scientists to identify the presence of the Higgs Boson.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Higgs Boson discovery?

While the discovery of the Higgs Boson may not have immediate practical applications, it has greatly advanced our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws of physics. It also opens up possibilities for future research and technological advancements in the field of particle physics.